Yeti GOBOX Collection

Would you buy points for MSG for your 12 year old son?

Would you apply for points for MSG for a 12 year old?

• I would build points for all states for all species. Someone has to draw.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • I would be selective about which states and which species. No point in throwing money away.

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • I would invest that money in mutual funds and give that to him when he turns 22.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • I would spend that money on some other cool things.

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
I am planning on it. I was late in the points game and only put in for a few places for MSG. I have seen several reports that indicate a large % hunting license holders are over the age of 50 right now. With lower and lower hunter recruitment, eventually the majority of point holders are going to pass away or get too old to go and drop out. I have a feeling I will be past my prime by the time that happens, but my two boys should be in a good position to make the most of those points... potentially. I could be completely wrong also. Who knows! The only thing I know for sure is they will have no chance if they don't have any points.

I have 3 sons who I bought points for back in the 90's when points were cheap. After they got up to 8 points, WY jacked up point fees and I bailed on everything. Great decision because now my sons are 26, 27 & 30 and only one went bow hunting with me a few times. None are even remotely interested these days. Would have been a total waste of my money.

If it was my son and my money I’d save from the time he’s 12 till he is 18-22 and take him on a MSG hunt of his choice. I checked the mutual funds box but it would a cool way to cash out that money and spend it on him when he’s old enough to appreciate it.

I'm thinking along the lines of Buzz. I get them a few points here and there for "regular" species. MSG the odds were too long for me to invest into the points game for them. Heck, I've dropped out of a few myself as I just can't see the worth to me. If my boys really get the itch for MSG they'll have to figure that one out. I know I haven't.

Back