Caribou Gear Tarp

Would anyone else care to give praise to the .308 ?

Mustangs Rule

Since I began my, often near obsession, with center-fire hunting rifles fifty-four years ago, there is one caliber i almost always avoided. The .308 Winchester. I bought rifles chambered in everything else but the .308. Three 7x57's for example, and the same number of 30-06's.

Finn Aggard once wrote that absolutely no other caliber could beat the .308 when it came to "game-field utility".

One day, 12 years ago, I could not resist buying a used Sako 75 Finnlight carbine in .308. I bought the gun not the caliber.

Now I undrstand why Finn gave that stubby little caliber such a huge compliment.

Anybody else have compliments for the .308 ?

Ok. Congrats to the .308. I have a few .308. While I don’t use it for hunting, plenty capable and a fantastic deer round. Also the Sako is a fantastic gun. Butter smooth action.

I know it’s about the 308 but this is the internet so I can’t help it… If you’re buying something with win stamped after it just get the 270 and be done. I know people are afraid of long actions now but damn it works well 😂

I will agree that Sako is a premium hunting rig for sure

I have hunted the .308 almost exclusively for 42 yrs. deer, bear, coyote.

I have hunted with a 32 special, a 270, 300 RUM.

The 308 is always the first choice, my browning BLR has taken probably close to 200 animals in those 42 yrs with an average of say 3/yr. Only lost 2 animals which were my fault, shot placement.

I've said it before, but the thing about the .308 is that there's not really one area in which it really shines or stands out, it just does EVERYTHING well. I've killed everything out there with a .308 - deer elk, bear. I use and experiment with a lot of different rifles but rely on my .308 as my go-to, easy button, whatever you want to call it.

I love my .308. Its an amazing cartridge that is so versatile. Doesn't kick much for its 30 cal bullet. I have 125 grain, 150 grain and 180 grain bullets that I use with it. The 125 grain have taken coyotes and the 180 grain bullets have taken elk and moose. So far, the ammo has never let me down and well placed shots have left game consistently dead in their tracks.

I have killed more animals with that round than I can count. I have a safe full of guns but for the past 4 years when hunting season comes around I grab my .308.
It is a boring round, flat brimmers laugh at, tough "MAGNUM" guys call it a pop-gun, and speed freaks won't even say it's name out loud. However those that like killing all sorts of animals with out worry of embarrassment or shoulder pain find it more than capable of killing anything in North America. I have yet to find one that isn't accurate.

Great all around caliber, very versatile. Not flashy or superfast but it gets the job done!!! Shot a lot of different things with it over the years. If I do my job it will it's job.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back