Wool vs Sitka Gear

I have a buddy that bought the raingear jacket. Yes, it is very water tight but makes a lot of noise. I wouldn't buy or recommend it to any hunter for reasons of noise. You can't even pull your bow back with out it making enough noise to alert anything within a 100 yards. :eek: I hope someday they will solve that problem. Now with that said the other sitka gear he bought with his rain jacket looks durable. They even made it so your zippers tuck to stop the old noisy rattling zipper problem. I'd recommend everything but the rain gear.

Hi all, new to this forum, but after reading this thread I had to toss in my two cents.

I own the 90% jacket. I like it, and it does great, but I took it out in the rain once to see how it did (not pouring rain, just a light, steady rain) and an hour later I was heading back to my truck with a soaked coat and a brewing head cold. The jacket does great in snow and wind, and with the right layers can handle the cold, but rain is a no-go.

I have spent quite a bit of time backpacking in New Zealand, where it can rain for days and days. On several occasions, it rained two or three days straight on my tramps, and the only thing that kept me dry was Gore-Tex. I know it's not cheap but it really works. After my morning hunt, I went out and bought a Gore-Tex Paclite jacket from Realtree (I think) that has a layer of fleece bonded to the outside to make it quiet. It works, the coat is silent, waterproof, windproof, and still breathes, though not nearly as well as the 90% jacket. It cost me around $150, but I think that other companies make a similar product so you might shop it around a bit.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope that you can learn from my mistakes, and that this helps you make a decision.

I have always worried my rain gear was to loud until I thought about it.How loud can clothing be in the rain?Most likley the rain will block out most noise also when the outer layer of most rain gear gets wet it quiets down some.I have not had a chance to check out the sitka rain gear myself but the other clothing they make seems to be great quality.I only wear my rain gear when it is raining so I dont worry to much about the noise of rain garmets like I say I think the sound of the rain blocks most of the sound.

Good point about when the rain is comming down hard, noise isn't much of an issue. However, when the rain lets up and your trying to walk through wet trees and grass noisy rain gear drives me nuts. I love to move when all the pine needles are wet or the grass is wet because every step is so quiet. I've tried rain suede (dryplus with a thin layer of fleece) and it helps cut the noise of raingear back. I agree with JohnDeereGreen's suggestion. And the gore-tex is likely a good upgrade from the dryplus in that I'd bet it breathes a little more.

It isn't anywhere near as widely available, but for a waterproof-breathable membrane eVent is worlds better than Gore-tex. Same level of waterproofness with 3 times the breathability. My number one gripe with the Sitka lineup is the heavy use of Gore-tex, Gore-tex soft shell, and Gore Windstopper. None breath anywhere close to what they should. I hope in his new venture Jason shies away from those materials.

Many of the new age clothes can be made more 'waterproof' by spraying them with the same protection your supposed to use for your tent

This won't make it 100%, but it will make it more waterproof than nothing
I believe most of the products you use for spray have a silicone base

Anybody have the 90% - Lite stuff? Can you tell me what the difference is compared to the regular 90% jacket, etc.

I found a 1/2 price deal on the interwebs but it says 90% Lite Jacket.

I own a 90% jacket it seems a little thin for sitting on a whitetail stand in november but with the right layers it should do well in in weather down to the 40's I would think for sitting.I think the 90% gear was made more for the traviling hunter.I could be wrong I have not got to test any of my sitka gear out yet but it does look and feel like quality stuff.I washed all my new sitka gear three times the other day to kinda get it broke in and any factory smells out and was impressed that it had zero shrinkage.If you can get it for half off it is defenatly worth the price.

I got Sitka core bottoms, two core shirts, ascent pants, and a celcius jacket for a little over $250.00 on ebay. That's a steal in my book, this stuff compares to nothing else I've ever worn and I highly reccommend buying some.

Wholesale Outdoors had a sidewalk sale yesterday with all their mothwing pattern stuff marked down 75%. I've got a 90% jacket and a mid layer something or another to try out now.

For what it's worth the seems are starting to blow and the fabrics got some wear holes on my Ascent pants I've had for a year and a half.

It's nice stuff, but I'd never even consider buying it for full price.

For what it's worth the seems are starting to blow and the fabrics got some wear holes on my Ascent pants I've had for a year and a half.
I'm hearing more and more about this and the Sitka stuff. It may just be the 2009 stuff but I've read on several forums about folks pants blowing out at the seems in multiple spots. I'd hate to think I paid $300 for a pair of pants that lasted less than 2 years....even if replaced for free!!

For me in northern New England where quiet is very important Nothing but Nothing is as good as Wool If you are out in a power full rain storm then good rain gear is important. But other than that wool is it. I use Minus33 stuff. light weight base layer for early season and the heavy expedition stuff in November and December when you have to stay warm. Filson wool pants and a Minus 33 red and black check shirt keep me more than warm. It also lasts for many seasons and would last much longer if i did not use it wood chipping and logging in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back