Caribou Gear

Woodstove for house

We have a big Vermont casting in the west end of the house and a Quadrafire on the east end (3200 ft2). Most of the time we are toasty with the Vermont casting but under a sustained -40 or below we will burn a load in the quadrafire to warm up the kitchen. With 8 inch logs and box beam ceiling 10inches thick, it takes days to cool the house down burning fir. We still only burn 3-4 chords over 10 months.

Make sure your house is insulated then match the stove size to your need. Big stoves throttled down to smoldering is problem waiting to happen. Burn them hot enough to keep them clean.

Have you selected a stove, @Mthuntr ?

We chose a Quadrafire 7100. It works great. They claim it will run a house venting system though we kept it for general fan from the stove.

It will bake the main level and double bake our open vaulted second level.

Have you selected a stove, @Mthuntr ?

We chose a Quadrafire 7100. It works great. They claim it will run a house venting system though we kept it for general fan from the stove.

It will bake the main level and double bake our open vaulted second level.
I ordered the Quadrafire Discovery III. I waited too long and it got put on backorder until February. I may or may not put the fan kit on it

The local shop helped me pick it out and made sure it was sized properly. It is a touch bigger than probably necessary but I have an older house so we opted for slightly bigger than undersized.

Back