PEAX Equipment

Woodstock vs Synthetic Stock???

SDS14

Hello fellow hunters,

I am curious to see what kind of rifle/shotgun stocks you prefer, wood stock vs synthetic stock, and why? Personally, all of my firearms are wood stock except my muzzleoader. I like the look and feel of wood stocks, but hate it when they get scratched. But lets hear what you guys prefer.

Synthetic, I've broken two woods stocks while in the field hunting. Wood stocks sure are nice to look at, but my go to hunting rifles wear synthetic stocks and have stainless or cerakoted barrels.

Synthetic: they take a beating much better and don't have the fluctuation that wood can have.

My guns are tools. Synthetic on most of mine. I like my guns to be able to handle all types of conditions.

It's taken many years, but I've gradually become preferential to synthetic stocks. Except on my muzzle loader. The only proper materials on a smoke are wood and brass.

I believe tools can be art, and as such wood and blue fits my aesthetic. That said, I'm sorta looking for a stainless, lightweight swede, sometime I'll find one that I like too much.

Even tho I have made some great woodstocks & make furniture,my hunting rifles are synthetic stocks now.

I've always been a synthetic guy, but I'm gradually going back to wood. I grew up reading articles and books of the old gun writers, and their favorite guns seemed like a part of the family and not just a "tool". I find myself wanting to return to that.

Similar to my fellow Missourian I have a mix. The next rifle I purchase will likely be synthetic, as it will be the rifle I tote around out west and is sure to scuffed up. If I had to choose what I prefer it would be wood. I could look at high grade walnut stocks all day. Also wood feels warmer to me.

For special guns (that don't get shot much) wood is the way to go. For guns that get taken out in the field and used a lot I like synthetic. As an example, a friend of mine a very nice pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06 that he spent a lot of money on to get the action bedded and the barrel free floated in it's original walnut stock. Took it on an elk hunting trip with much snow/rain and the wood swelled and completely threw off it's accuracy when the wood made contact with the barrel. He had to borrow a gun to complete his hunt. So what is the take away from that story. Keep the original stock on the pre-64. But get a hunting gun with a synthetic stock for fowl weather.

I love the looks of a beautiful piece of wood on a rifle, but for all practical purposes, Synthetic it is. I still havent really come around the the look of stainless on a rifle, Although my new mountain ascent from BHA might change that.

Synthetic and ceracoat for the tool pouch...wood and blue for eye pron & fair weather

Back