Wolves of Walden?

Do federal or state laws protect wild/domestic hybrids?

Just a though provoker - with the likely presence of some free running or feral wolf-dog hybrids already on the landscape here and there, what is the liklihood that western transplant wolves remain forever pure-strain? What if a bunch of wolf dog hybrids start showing up in future years. I’d think in Colorado, the chances of this are higher than in some more remote areas.

Implications of hybridization affect all kinds of conservation and management decisions and with canines this is a known problem such as whether you can keep rare eastern red wolves pure (or if thats already too late) or the bloodlines of eastern coyotes which some have said (not sure whats proven) contain coyote, wolf, and domestic dog influence.

Do federal or state laws protect wild/domestic hybrids?

Just a though provoker - with the likely presence of some free running or feral wolf-dog hybrids already on the landscape here and there, what is the liklihood that western transplant wolves remain forever pure-strain? What if a bunch of wolf dog hybrids start showing up in future years. I’d think in Colorado, the chances of this are higher than in some more remote areas.

Implications of hybridization affect all kinds of conservation and management decisions and with canines this is a known problem such as whether you can keep rare eastern red wolves pure (or if thats already too late) or the bloodlines of eastern coyotes which some have said (not sure whats proven) contain coyote, wolf, and domestic dog influence.
I doubt they're covered, but telling one from another would be near impossible to the trigger puller

I doubt they're covered, but telling one from another would be near impossible to the trigger puller
Agreed, but have a feeling DNA science is going to have to get pulled into the wolf debate before too long. Probably by defense attorneys…

“State hasn’t satisfactorily proven this isn’t a St. Bernard, your honor”

I archery elk hunted South of Walden in 2022. My hunting friend from Granby showed me a disturbing video. His friend took his son for his first antelope hunt (near Walden). Poor shot placement. They had to leave the antelope over night. When they got there to retrieve the antelope the next morning , a large black wolf was in possession of the head/neck of the buck antelope. A word of warning. The wolves will eat "everything". I used to hunt near Jackson WY. for archery moose. At that time there were 80 tags in that unit. After 5 years time, there was only 1 tag. The wolves ate every moose calf. Don't waste time thinking about it because the same thing will happen in Colorado. You have to act now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back