Wolves kill relatively few Elk Calves in Yellowstone

JoseCuervo

They had to do a study for this???? Hell, I could have told them that Wolves only eat the 6x6 Bulls. That is why I don't have a hole in my tag!!!

Doesn't appear that Wolves are responsible for the mortality of Calves in Yellowstone.

Bears blamed for most elk calf deaths
Gazette Wyoming Bureau

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK – Researchers trying to understand how young elk die in Yellowstone National Park found this summer that grizzly bears and black bears killed most of the calves that were marked in the spring and were found dead later in the year.

The results – which researchers emphasize are very preliminary – are from the first portion of a three-year study of elk calf mortality on Yellowstone’s northern range.

The study is being conducted by the Yellowstone Center for Resources, the U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Minnesota.

The research, sparked by a recent elk population survey that showed a decline in the number of calves per cow elk, is meant to gauge the cause and timing of calve deaths, estimate calf survival rates and evaluate factors that might “predispose calves to death,” according to information provided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

In May and June, 51 calves that were less than six days old were captured, fitted with an ear tag and monitored daily. By September, 34 had died.

According to the study, 19 were killed by grizzly and black bears, five were killed by wolves, three by coyotes, two by either bears or wolves, one by a mountain lion, one by a wolverine and three died from causes other than predators.

Researchers emphasized that the calves studied this summer were only a small sample of the overall population and that the data shouldn’t be extrapolated to estimate yearly survival rates or population dynamics for other herds or during other seasons.

Monitoring of tagged calves will continue through this winter and new captures are scheduled for the spring of 2004 and the spring of 2005.

We've known for at least twenty years that black bears are the main predator on elk calves in Idaho, but all these yahoos that are screaming about wolves never try to shoot a bear! They never try to shoot a lion, either.
biggrin.gif
But they all claim they want to shoot a wolf because the wolves eat elk!
biggrin.gif

Look here, I'm the cynic! I sorta question the research that comes directly out of Yellowstone. To perform research in Yellowstone one has to obtain a permit from the NPS. Wonder how hard it is to get one of those if you findings are not in line with the management plans/idealogy?
rolleyes.gif

Good point Pointer,

But at least they are doing a study. Looks like grizzleys should be the next species up for delisting. It would be nice to get more details to this study, and it will be interesting to see how many of these calves that are still alive, are alive next spring.

Paul

'Course I guess the same thing could be said for any study, the land owner does have some say. Beings this was done on federal land, I assume that if one wanted all the data to go through they could get it via FOIA.

I agree with the need for the study. For good management, we must collect data in the area of interest. Sure, somethings can be extrapolated fairly well, but not all. Plus, the suprises are what make it fun!

I'm hoping the grizzlies get delisted! Imagine what the states could charge for tags! IMO, it would be nothing but a win-win situation for game and their management. Same with wolves. Their here, lets get them up to a sustainable level, harvest the surplus animals, and use the increase in tag revenues to benefit wildlife as a whole.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-09-2003 16:36: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back