Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wolves in Nevada???

Some ranchers even feel the same about elk, deer, and pronghorn...you think they should shoot on sight every elk, deer, and pronghorn they see?

Do you mean ranchers or farmers?

In certain states, what happens is due to predation (or climate change, depending on who you ask), elk get pushed down out of NF and onto more agricultural land.

Then the farmers with damaged crops ask DFW to issue an unlimited number of OTC tags for a months long rifle cow hunt.

If you hunt up in NF but dont tag out in a unit with a <10% success rate, you need to find another hobby.

Last edited:
Sheep ranchers feel the same way about bighorns, should they just SSS every bighorn they see?

Some ranchers even feel the same about elk, deer, and pronghorn...you think they should shoot on sight every elk, deer, and pronghorn they see?

Poaching isn't the answer. For the record, how many days have you spent wolf hunting?
I bet zero. Just like geewhizzer the great elk killer. If he kills such great bulls, why is he bitching? Fricken hilarious. mtmuley

Do you mean ranchers or farmers?

In certain states, what happens is due to predation (or climate change, depending on who you ask), elk get pushed down out of NF and onto more agricultural land.

Then the farmers with damaged crops ask DFW to issue an unlimited number of OTC tags for a months long rifle cow hunt.

If you hunt up in NF but dont tag out in a unit with a <10% success rate, you need to find another hobby.
🤡

Thanks for the elk hunting advice/lesson. Maybe I'll get my first one this fall.

🤡

Thanks for the elk hunting advice/lesson. Maybe I'll get my first one this fall.

Not sure how well you can read Slim, but that wasnt advice. Just a fact in response to a point you made.

And at least youre not posting while at work on the taxpayers’ dime, so that’s something.

Not sure how well you can read Slim, but that wasnt advice. Just a fact in response to a point you made.

And at least youre not posting while at work on the taxpayers’ dime, so that’s something.
Your "facts" are 🐴 💩....and has zero to do with any point I made.

Your "facts" are 🐴 💩....

Probably dont post selfies Buzz.

Glad you know everything about everything, even about places you dont live or hunt. Good for you.

You should write a book. Or better yet publish all your Hunt Talk posts. Be longer than a Tolstoy trilogy.

Probably dont post selfies Buzz.

Glad you know everything about everything, even about places you dont live or hunt. Good for you.

You should write a book. Or better yet publish all your Hunt Talk posts. Be longer than a Tolstoy trilogy.
Tell us about all the wolves you've shot, you sound like an expert.

For the record, it's not my fault you sat on your ass in Oregon and didn't work on a wolf management plan that included hunting.

Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho hunters did.

Last edited:
And now returning to the OP, my read of that bulletin is the State has confirmed wolves without saying it outright yet.
I say this because of the wording. NV collected spoor for further study, observed tracks yet was quick to dismiss as wandering ID wolves given the proximity to the border and so on.
I’ve seen this before. Similar bulletins came out regarding wolves in northern ME; mountain lions in TX, NY and VT; black bear in OH; jaguar in AZ. All of these critters once lived in those areas and now they’re coming back in. Game commissions of the several states don’t want to alarm people, but yeah, no. This is real.

And now returning to the OP, my read of that bulletin is the State has confirmed wolves without saying it outright yet.
I say this because of the wording. NV collected spoor for further study, observed tracks yet was quick to dismiss as wandering ID wolves given the proximity to the border and so on.
I’ve seen this before. Similar bulletins came out regarding wolves in northern ME; mountain lions in TX, NY and VT; black bear in OH; jaguar in AZ. All of these critters once lived in those areas and now they’re coming back in. Game commissions of the several states don’t want to alarm people, but yeah, no. This is real.
Nothing alarming about animals occupying suitable habitat. Ho-hum.

Nothing alarming about animals occupying suitable habitat. Ho-hum.
Exactly though I don’t care about that so much as reading bureaucratic tea leaves. My point in this is that State agencies will pussyfoot about volunteer predators like this until they can’t. Then it turns to predator management study because oh no save the deer. If a G&F were to respond with “could be wolves, so what?” I would appreciate the transparency.

I spend a ton of time in northern MN where the wolf population is probably more dense than anywhere else in the country. It’s a better place because of it. Neat to see them expanding into their traditional range in other areas, as well.

Sheep ranchers feel the same way about bighorns, should they just SSS every bighorn they see?

Poaching isn't the answer. For the record, how many days have you spent wolf hunting?
I don't know enought about the bighorn issues to comment.

Given the INCREDIBLE amount of tags (transferable at that) that landowners get for ungulates plus their ability to have hunters come on their property to harvest if they want to, a comparison there is apples and oranges. There is a huge opportunity to manage those animals that there is not for wolves in a large part of their range.

As for wolf hunting, I have not yet had the opportunity.

For the record, it's not my fault you sat on your ass in Oregon and didn't work on a wolf management plan that included hunting.

Haven’t shot any, as you know because Oregon doesn’t allow it. I have seen them multiple times while hunting, and know whats happened to big game hunting over the past 34 years in certain areas.

For the record, it took quite a few years before Oregon would admit wolves were here. And even then it was tough for them to acknowledge wolf depredation against livestock (“welp, not enough evidence to say it was wolves that tore apart these cows, sorry”).

So please dispense some advice (“AI Buzz”?) on how to convince ODFW and the State generally given the political environment, to immediately open up a wolf season in E. Oregon.

As I’ve likely said before, its easy for you to sit on your ass in rural Wyoming and tell hunters in states with large concentrated populations of liberal voters, on how to “take charge”. You live in a dream world born on third base and thinking you hit a triple.

As an experiment, why dont you go to a Portland Reddit thread and post photos of your kills. I’d be interested to see what happens. Like some of the ranchers who get death threats from pro wolfers, you might get run over by a subaru.

Maybe just tell them you shoot a lot of cow elk because they’re overpopulated and causing climate change.

Apologies to the original poster. Will probably see more wolves in NV as the years go on. One from Oregon had traveled clear down to California (Sacramento area). They repopulate well, and wander far.

Last edited:
Exactly though I don’t care about that so much as reading bureaucratic tea leaves. My point in this is that State agencies will pussyfoot about volunteer predators like this until they can’t. Then it turns to predator management study because oh no save the deer. If a G&F were to respond with “could be wolves, so what?” I would appreciate the transparency.
Still ho-hum. Anyone with a slight understanding of wolves, bears, lions, etc. knows they wander all over. Its intuitive that if Idaho, Oregon, Utah all have wolves that Nevada would too. I've worked all over southern Idaho and Northern Nevada good wildlife habitat.

There's your "transparency".

Haven’t shot any, as you know because Oregon doesn’t allow it. I have seen them multiple times while hunting, and know whats happened to big game hunting over the past 34 years in certain areas.

For the record, it took quite a few years before Oregon would admit wolves were here. And even then it was tough for them to acknowledge wolf depredation against livestock (“welp, not enough evidence to say it was wolves that tore apart these cows, sorry”).

So please dispense some advice (“AI Buzz”?) on how to convince ODFW and the State generally given the political environment, to immediately open up a wolf season in E. Oregon.

As I’ve likely said before, its easy for you to sit on your ass in rural Wyoming and tell hunters in states with large concentrated populations of liberal voters, on how to “take charge”. You live in a dream world born on third base and thinking you hit a triple.

As an experiment, why dont you go to a Portland Reddit thread and post photos of your kills. I’d be interested to see what happens. Like some of the ranchers who get death threats from pro wolfers, you might get run over by a subaru.

Maybe just tell them you shoot a lot of cow elk because they’re overpopulated and causing climate change.

Apologies to the original poster. Will probably see more wolves in NV as the years go on. One from Oregon had traveled clear down to California (Sacramento area). They repopulate well, and wander far.
Right, anything tough to do, you're out.

Typical.

Still ho-hum. Anyone with a slight understanding of wolves, bears, lions, etc. knows they wander all over. Its intuitive that if Idaho, Oregon, Utah all have wolves that Nevada would too. I've worked all over southern Idaho and Northern Nevada good wildlife habitat.

There's your "transparency".
One a these days you’re going to not find anything to argue about and everything will be fine. Of course, we all understand if that pisses you off too.

One a these days you’re going to not find anything to argue about and everything will be fine. Of course, we all understand if that pisses you off too.
What part of wolves in Nevada are you surprised about?

Spend some time there and understand how wildlife disperses, it seems about right to me.

How many wolves have you shot Buzz? I am not trying to stir pot but would like to know. I have shot 2 which is pretty poor considering our local wolf population

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back