Wolves & Elk in eastern MT

I've changed my attitude towards wolves in the past several years. As they move east and spread out, I'm sure a lot of other's perspective of wolves will change too.

The concept of wolves being in the woods is neat. The reality of their impact on big game herds doesn't bring on the same warm, fuzzy feeling. Add that to a general populous of hunters that think we can continue to kill animals at the same rate as before wolves made a comeback and it spells disaster for a lot of local herds.

I'm all for ranchers being able to kill wolves to protect their animals, but what about the hunters and people who have a vested interest in stable big game populations to provide sustenance and well being for their families? Shouldn't their interest be just as important as the ranchers? Why can't local hunters remove wolves when local populations excede their carrying capacity?

Its a rhetorical question, I know, but no one should be surprised when people start taking matters into their own hands. Just sayin....

Duncan- I'm just venting. :)

Carrying capacity exceeded. Defined as any more than token population. Token population= 1 wolf :)

Back