Wolf population declining in Yellowstone National Park

Oops... Better expand protections for these cute cuddlies... In fact, let's expand Yellowstone boundaries - for wolves to keep them safe from the evil "trophy hunters"! 🙄

Not surprising. Almost any predator introduction into a large prey population will result in a rapid increase and overshoot of any equilibrium and then a decline (often sharp). In a perfect world, those oscillations would eventually dampen out to a steady-state equilibrium in most cases (sustained cycles being rare).

Really kind of an incomplete article.

Is 7% survival for pups normal for wolf populations? The article doesn’t tell us.

Is the GYE, a less arbitrary ecosystem boundary than the administrative boundaries of the park, suffering 50% decline in wolf numbers since 2003? The article doesn’t tell us.

Reading the comments on this article on Facebook is fascinating. To some, the decline of wolves in the park is proof that God exists and is wonderful. To others, it is a signal showing how evil mankind is. To me, it was something to read while sitting on the toilet.

Reading the comments on this article on Facebook is fascinating. To some, the decline of wolves in the park is proof that God exists and is wonderful. To others, it is a signal showing how evil mankind is. To me, it was something to read while sitting on the toilet.
Not even sure it was worth toilet time... :)

The reasons for the decline are given as disease (mange, distemper, parvo), wolf on wolf mortality, and packs moving out of the park. These are all the natural consequence of the overpopulation that results when you reintroduce a predator where it has not existed for an extended period of time. At first there is plenty of prey and little competition. The living is easy and the predator population soars. The prey population drops and competition gets tough. Health declines among the remaining population making them more susceptible to disease and interspecies battles for territory costs lives. Territorial pressure pushes some out in search of greener pastures. This is what should happen and is what should have been expected to happen. Regardless, I expect the city living wolf lovers to use the report to make another push against allowing state wildlife agencies to control wolf populations outside the park

Back