Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wolf kills dog in MN

Interesting read and nice and short.

Cliffs:
Man walks dog off leash on local trail in the city.
Dog gets killed by wolf in the middle of the day.
DNR says it's rare, but happening more often due to the lack of deer.

http://www.startribune.com/hungry-w...k-with-owner-near-duluth-lakeshore/368323061/

This is what happens when we are not allowed to keep them in check and they kill all the deer in the area. :)

I'm a WI native, have a cabin near the Brimson, MN area as well. Wolves are a large problem where I was born and raised. 3 S's. Once was told by a DNR warden that there are no wolves in my home county... I advised him otherwise, he became defensive and stated, "yeah, well if you see one, make sure not to shoot it, some are collared". OH REALLY, SO THERE ARE WOLVES HERE NOW.

Hunting near Brimson for grouse with my brittany, we had 4 wolves surround us near a beaver pond. I'm guessing there were more that I couldn't see. It took 3 shots over one wolfs head to get it to leave. We hustled back to the truck and continued hunting a few miles away. I'm sure they are having a rough winter this year with the mild weather.

Wolves will be wolves and anytime you take a pet out in that country you are taking a chance. I do think they make it a better place. Nothing like falling asleep under the stars listening to them howling. They are (or were) fun to hunt, too.

NoWiser, that had to be an awesome experience, maybe not at the time, but that is what wild places are all about.

In five years of hunting in the Arrowhead (I took 1 extra year at University of Minnesota - Duluth, probably because I hunted so much) I saw a lot of wolves. They were never gone.

I do think the wolf pendulum swung a little too far in MN, but the Arrowhead also was invaded by whitetails in the last 100 years (outside their historical range), so it was ripe for the wolves to explode. A good friend of mine saw a wolf basically in East Duluth last deer season; which made me think either there are too many packs in the rural country or not enough food, so they are going to where there is more deer and other stuff. The story seems to confirm it.

I don't have an issue with wolves in their historical ranges. I just like balance. I think the wolves, moose, grouse, bear, deer, lynx, fisher are all what make it awesome.

Last edited:
I agree MinnesotaHunter. If I had the option of hunting a prime piece of private land in SE MN where big buck are common, or hunt NE MN where you might shoot 2 nice bucks in a decade, I'd pick the second option every time. I love that wild country up there.

Here is my dad and I with the wolf that I called in and shot at 10 yards the first year we had the wolf season. His pack was howling all morning, but he was silent and just appeared behind me. 117 pounds and I had to carry him out whole a mile to the river, paddle a couple miles, and then pack him another 1/2 mile to the truck. He is now an effective means of keeping my wife out of my hunting room!

I agree MinnesotaHunter. If I had the option of hunting a prime piece of private land in SE MN where big buck are common, or hunt NE MN where you might shoot 2 nice bucks in a decade, I'd pick the second option every time. I love that wild country up there.

Here is my dad and I with the wolf that I called in and shot at 10 yards the first year we had the wolf season. His pack was howling all morning, but he was silent and just appeared behind me. 117 pounds and I had to carry him out whole a mile to the river, paddle a couple miles, and then pack him another 1/2 mile to the truck. He is now an effective means of keeping my wife out of my hunting room!

Man that is a nice looking wolf.

There was a recent article in (I think) the Star Tribune regarding the moose decline. Wolves were one issue, but one of the other prongs of the problem (they said), was competition from deer and diseases brought by deer. Solution: reduce northern deer numbers.

But then you have northern hunters and land owners who say they hardly see the deer numbers like they used to because the wolves ate em all.

Don't know who or what to believe.

Emrah

I saw a presentation by the DNR at their annual roundtable meeting where they showed the results of their moose study. Half of the moose calves were killed by wolves before September. Half. Yet that was not reported as being one of the main causes. To me it was the smoking gun. The wolf numbers need to be managed like any other animal. Look at all the consternation the wolf has caused in the west. And yet MN has more wolves than all the western states COMBINED! In my opinion, wolves are just an animal, no better, no worse than any other.

NoWiser,
beautiful wolf! that doesn't look like " those little timber wolves" that folks in the west say we have in MN ;)

I agree with you guys, they are part of what makes northern MN so special. like stated earlier, we just need to be able to manage them like anything else, and maybe take some of the heat off of the moose population

This is not rare for wolves to kill a domestic dog. Ask lion hunters or Google hounds killed by wolves, very graphic. Wolves being very territorial a domestic dog is a threat and will get killed. When wolves here hounds they come to kill. Most lion hunters won't turn their dogs out if they cut wolf tracks. I had a friend about four years back and the wolves killed his lab right on his porch, kind of sad but it's what happens in wolf country.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back