Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wolf/elk info worth reading!

Paul,

I can agree with most of that.

I personally think its too early in the game to hit the panic button on the wolves. Dont get me wrong, I want them delisted, and I would shoot one in a heartbeat (legally) if I got the chance. I just havent seen much conclusive evidenct that wolves have killed many sheep near Yellowstone. I'm not saying it doesnt happen. The wolf issue definately needs to be watched closely, but I'd say the elk herd being heavy in older, less productive animals, also has a very big part to do with why the yellowstone herd is supposedly declining.

I think FNAWS would be better served by NOT wanting to close down the unlimited areas. It was a good idea to close 301, those sheep were getting hammered. But, I'd say at least part of the blame should be put on hunters as well. As you know, there were years where well over a dozen rams were killed...most of them barely legal. I'd like to see the FWP increase the "legal sheep" requirement, or at least impose a quota in 301. Makes me wonder how many older, better rams there would have been in 301 when they had the high harvest years? Most of those sheep were younger than 6. Two-three more years on those rams would have definately made a lot better sheep.

Outside of 301, I'd say keep the other unlimited areas just as they are. Most have a quota of one or two rams, I dont think thats overharvesting those sheep, I really dont. My opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> LOCATION: Wrangell St. Elias National Park/Preserve in Game Management Unit 11 between the Dadina and Chestasline Rivers.

NUMBER OF DEAD RAMS: 20
12 rams - little or no use by wolves
6 rams - 40 to 90% consumed by wolves
2 rams - No estimate of consumption. Checked too late- damaged by ravens.

BONE MARROW: All samples checked showed high fat levels. Animals not nutritionally stressed. All animals checked appeared in good physical condition with no defects making them susceptible to predation.

SHEEP AGES: 2-9 years old
SNOW DEPTH: 14" - 29"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.aws.vcn.com/alaska.html
I needed to edit the post to add.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> These pictures were taken by an Alaska Fish and Game Department biologist following a kill of 20 healthy rams by 5 wolves in November, 1988.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-06-2003 15:58: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]</font>

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back