wolf calibers

I would assume they are well within the size range of whitetails, but with a lot more fur, which would make a hot 22cal plausible, but perhaps on the marginal side of things. It also seems as though a lot of the guys doing it are planning on rather distances. For long distance I would want high BC and high velocity. That would make me consider a 6X47 or larger 6mm with a 105gr or heavier bullet to be the minimum. Not the minimum that could get the job done, but the minimum combination of trajectory, drift and impact momentum that I would want for myself for 600-1000yd shots. There’s a reason you don’t see competitors using 22cals at 1000yds. A 22-250 sized cartridge could get the job done I’m sure, but I wouldn’t want to handicap myself in the drop and drift department of planning to shoot extreme range. I would strongly consider something similar to a 6CM with 105’s, 6.5-284 with 140’s, or 280AI with 168’s. There are a host of cartridges that will approximate the performance of those three. I know nothing about wolf hunting, but it seems like a lot of wolf hunters are preparing for 1000yd shots.
Not a ''fan'' of the long shots, thats for PAPER PUNCHERS.......if one is looking to kill something, why not get to within a minimum of 400-450 yards....That to me is still a long shot............
mabe as one gets older, you think more about taking ''questionable shots at long distances.....
If you have a rig,set up for long range ,more power to you.

My personal exp is yes they are tough.
My wife shot one with 26 Nosler twice.
Once in front shoulder, once behind shoulder and it was still running full tilt.
I luckily anchored it with 300RUM

WELL.
I am thinking, a shot at a wolf is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
I sure would hate it if I tried a gun too small and lost my only ever wolf.
I would way rather have a taxidermist have to fix a pelt than NOT have a pelt.
Just my thoughts.
A wolf is 100 pounds+, and a coyote is maybe 40#.

WELL.
I am thinking, a shot at a wolf is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
I sure would hate it if I tried a gun too small and lost my only ever wolf.
I would way rather have a taxidermist have to fix a pelt than NOT have a pelt.
Just my thoughts.
A wolf is 100 pounds+, and a coyote is maybe 40#.
800lb elk are shot with .243, the Swedes favorite moose gun is a 6.5....just saying

The vast majority of wolf kills are incidental while deer and elk hunting. Hence the "big guns". I've had one chance at a wolf since they were re-introduced in Idaho. I was bow hunting.

I've kind of outgrown coyote hunting unless they go after our pets. I toy with the idea of building a 20 caliber coyote gun. It would pay for itself in pelts, even at today's prices.
Over the years I have turned coyotes inside out with a 30 caliber Hornady SST out of an '06 and 140 Sierra BTs out of a 264WM or 6.5 Swede. Forget the taxidermist unless you want a merkin. I've also killed them with a 9mm pistol. As a kid on the ranch I killed them with a 10/22. That would not be wolf medicine to me. However, I have no problem with .224" centerfire rifles for wolves if you are confident in your shot placement.

There are any number of advocates on HT for hunting deer and hogs with .223/5.56. If it will take down a hog, it will take down a wolf.

That's right any good deer round will work fine.
I never thought the 223, 220 swift a big game round, but.
If you want to risk your once in a lift time animal, have at it.
You referenced a wolf being 100lbs, hence the need for enough gun. Well, if that's the case then 223 or 220 swift would definitely be enough gun for a wolf, easily.

I’ve never killed a wolf but I would go with 5.56, 22-250, 243, 25-06 or 260z

Back