Wolf attacks

This thread seems like a perfect excuse to talk my wife into letting me get something with lots of boolits and easy to carry. G20? Hmm...

I've never had any fear of wolves before. Reading about mega packs taking down guys after they'd already killed 13-14 wolves gives me a little pause though. Just a little.

So, in the past 95 years there has been 2 fatal wild wolf attacks in North America? There are 30-50 human fatalities each year from domestic dogs. I think I will feel much safer wandering through the wolf infested woods than taking a stroll through the local dog park.

So, in the past 95 years there has been 2 fatal wild wolf attacks in North America? There are 30-50 human fatalities each year from domestic dogs. I think I will feel much safer wandering through the wolf infested woods than taking a stroll through the local dog park.
Whitetails kill more people every month than wolves have in recorded history.

Hey no worries, it wasn't fatal when the woof clamped onto the skull of a human.

It's not frequent... though a pack surrounding you is not prepping for the petting zoo either.

Here's to you Super Troopers.

Like any wild animal, have to respect them for what they are, and wolves are highly territorial apex predators that are proficient at killing about anything they want. Attacks on humans are rare enough but certainly a terrifying situation for the few unlucky ones. I think the most danger lies in cases of disease or starvation.
Looking for this one specifically and hopefully not a Wikipedia.
I'd take most of the older accounts with some salt too, but it's not inconceivable considering their hunting strategy, starvation situation. There must be a million things that are statistically more dangerous though.

Looking for this one specifically and hopefully not a Wikipedia.
It IS Wikipedia, but I was being tongue in cheek with my whole post anyways. The document from Wikipedia from an earlier post on this thread seemed reasonably well cited. I'd suggest checking it out and forming your own conclusions. It's entirely possible the sources are faulty. Or... maybe folks did get eaten by wolves more regularly in the days when winters were rough and people had to take dog sleds or snowshoes to travel instead of snowmobiles and pickups.

We dont view the wolf as something we need to fear when in the wilderness. Bears, moose, weather are always things that can surprise us at times, but not the wolf. If they are in town, our concern is our dogs. Bear spray will also deter them. If one seems a bit to aggressive we just shoot him.

I recently attended a meeting about violence against women after 8 women were killed in 8 weeks. I feel safer in the woods with the wolf and bear than being downtown in any of our large cities.

Like Akcabin, I respect the wolf, and the bear but have not seen the type of aggression from Wolves that would suggest they are waiting and watching for a human to enter the forest so that they can kill him/her.

BUT, that is just my observation from one area of the world, perhaps wolfs in other parts of the world are different.

A few years ago a a woman was killed and eaten by wolves on the AK Peninsula when she went for a jog.
Other than that I don't know of any other attacks but I'm sure there must be more.
Unintentionally sneaking upon a grizzly, and worse if she has cubs, is much more of a concern to me.

I've only been a visitor to AK but I've seen wolves on 2 occasions and have never seen a Brownie, only their fresh tracks.
dang - didn't realize they would do that... what a horrible way to go.

I've called them in a few times while elk hunting. They just come in take a look and leave. However, on a couple of occasions I've felt uncomfortable when surrounded by a pack. I've called in mountain lions a couple of times while elk hunting, they were more scary than the wolves and harder to shake.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back