Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wish Me Luck, Please

NEWHunter

Well, I got a pass through on a great buck tonight. Unfortunately he ran across a property line, as is apt to happen in suburban environments. He tore off for 75 yards, stopped at the property line, and then disappeared down the hill. He only had to cover another 60 yards to get back on accessible ground. Not super confident right now, mostly because I detest this part of hunting. Fortunately, if he’s dead he should be dead on a property I can access, however. This in between time is the worst part of hunting. I feel sick. I mean, I’m pretty sure he’s dead, just whether or not I find him.

Definitely not going to sleep much tonight. It’s 52 degrees now and going down to 40 by early morning. If the coyotes don’t get him, any spoilage concerns? I’ll be gridding it out at first light. Wish me luck. Don’t worry - I’ll follow up either way.

Last edited:
If you got the full pass, feel confident in your shot and his direction, you’ll find him!!! If you can’t find him across the landowners spot on the accessible land, ask the landowner if you can at least walk around and look.. follow the blood even when you think you already know which way he went. Following along. Good luck. We have faith!

Last edited:
I would do a few things….why wait until morning with warm temps?

Can you ask permission to look? If they say no, can you access it from the public land?

I think in WI they don’t have to let you but they can’t have the deer either. You could call the CO and see. I’d have to reread the regs on that.

Take a flashlight or two and someone strong to help with the deer and go look after bedtime?

if somehow you get caught and chewed out, apologize, and explain you are trying to do the right thing.

I would go with you if I could. Wear your camos.

Last edited:
Good luck! Assuming the pass through was in the boiler room, I'm thinking dead deer. I'm sure it will be a sleepless night, but I think you got this.

I am sorry but I cannot let this one go. This is not good advice. Trespassing is never ok! As a hunter you are representing yourself AND all of us…represent yourself and us with integrity. Integrity defined: “doing the right thing when no one is watching.”
Take a flashlight or two and someone strong to help with the deer and go look after bedtime?

if somehow you get caught and chewed out, apologize, and explain you are trying to do the right thing.

I would go with you if I could. Wear your camos.

Yea buddy. Love a good blood trail. With any luck I will let you use my pick up line.... goes like this. .. hey baby I got a dead deer. 5 pounds of potatoes. And a dozen eggs..... wanna come over .... it gets em everytime lol good luck man. Can't wait to see more pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back