Wisconsin wolf season determination made

cheeser

WWF Board Members and Friends:
The Natural Resources Board just approved a wolf harvest quota for the February, 2021 wolf harvest season. The quota is for 200 wolves broken out by the six management zones. However the tribes can declare 50% of the quota in those management zones in the ceded territory pursuant to the final Federal Court Stipulation in the Voigt case. Part of the wolf management zones are in Central Wisconsin outside of the ceded territory. The Board established a 20 to 1 ratio for the number of wolf hunting/trapping permits those wolves subject to state hunter/trapper harvest.
The application period for harvest permits will begin February 16 at 12:01 am and close February 20th at 11:59 pm. Applications to enter the lottery are $10. Successful applicants must purchase a $49 dollar wolf hunting/trapping license. Individuals can apply for either the right to apply for a license or for preference points. Customers will be able to view the results of the selection process on the DNR website on February 22nd and then purchase their $49 wolf license. Drawing winners can begin hunting and trapping when they have purchased their license and printed their carcass tag. The season will run through February 28th. In-person registration is required as usual.
The application period for the November 2021 wolf season starts on March 1 for either preference points or for the wolf license itself. Please consult the DNR website for all the formal regulation applicable to the hunting/trapping season.
Please check on the DNR website to answer any questions you may have.
Thank you,

So 14 days for WI hunters to realize killing a wolf is a lot harder than they every realized. :) Good luck to all and stay warm.
14 days to fill the tags more like it, last season they held they filled the quota in a fraction of the original season length iirc.

14 days to fill the tags more like it, last season they held they filled the quota in a fraction of the original season length iirc.
Interesting. What was the trapping/hunter take ratio? Seems to me it would be harder to kill one in a deciduous forest with a rifle, and that is not even considering the northern half of the state which is thick pine. Corn field hunting maybe?

Not 100% sure, a lot of guys hunt coyotes with hounds up there. So that may be one way, I know there were quite a few trappers. I'll let you know how I do it if I draw the tag tonight.

I read it as 6 days of hunting. Draw results posted on the 22nd and the season ends on the 28th.

200 is probably a small fraction of what is already harvested up there, just a chance for guys who follow the rules to have an opportunity.

Hunting them in MN and WI has not proven to be as difficult as many thought it would be. We have a much more dense population than out west. It took me three days to fill my tag in MN when I had a license.

Interesting. What was the trapping/hunter take ratio? Seems to me it would be harder to kill one in a deciduous forest with a rifle, and that is not even considering the northern half of the state which is thick pine. Corn field hunting maybe?
According to the harvest report from the last season we had, which was in 2014 it was 80% trapped and 20% various hunting methods. 4 of the zones met there quotas within 3 days and the other 2 took 5 weeks.

In Montana it has been more from hunters than trappers. I think most of the hunters buy a tag and it is an ancillary, opportunistic take. I have talked to quite a few hunters targeting wolves on my winter hikes over the years but none of them have ever had success. Hope that changes someday. They are smart animals.

In Montana it has been more from hunters than trappers. I think most of the hunters buy a tag and it is an ancillary, opportunistic take. I have talked to quite a few hunters targeting wolves on my winter hikes over the years but none of them have ever had success. Hope that changes someday. They are smart animals.
I had over 40 days of targeting wolves before I finally killed one. Had a couple close calls prior to that, but they are smart animals.

Hunting them in MN and WI has not proven to be as difficult as many thought it would be. We have a much more dense population than out west. It took me three days to fill my tag in MN when I had a license.
I’m curious what your tactic was for hunting them? I’ve seen quite a few while deer hunting but I wouldn’t feel very confident sitting in a stand hoping for one to pass by

I’m curious what your tactic was for hunting them? I’ve seen quite a few while deer hunting but I wouldn’t feel very confident sitting in a stand hoping for one to pass by
I hiked close to where I could hear them howling, which just happened to be where my climber stand was hanging, and then I called him in using fawn-in-distress calls mixed with coyote yips. Shot him about 6' from the base of the tree I was in.

I hiked close to where I could hear them howling, which just happened to be where my climber stand was hanging, and then I called him in using fawn-in-distress calls mixed with coyote yips. Shot him about 6' from the base of the tree I was in.
That’s awesome. Congrats on that.

No dice for the wife in the draw, i didn't apply. Didn't take long for my phone to ring this morning, with people wanting to know where the wolf's are at, though.

Back