PEAX Equipment

Wisconsin rifle hunt?

streamer

Any info on where to start looking I would like to try rifle hunting this year in either Polk, or Burnett county. Got a plot book for Burnett lots of pubic land but sound like alot of hunters, just trying to get off the beaten path and sit all day. Is knocking on doors worth the driving around?

New to this site, but have been following on here for the past two months picking up some new tricks and tips for my Montana hunt next year. Live in Minnesota, but only hunt in Wisconsin.

Now to your question about Wisconsin Rifle Hunting. I gun hunt in Barron County on private land that my family owns. The land sits right on the edge of Burnett, Polk and Barron. It is about 100 acres which holds about 4 of us for hunting and still is tight. Our cabin is 5 miles away and sits next to a couple tracks of public hunting land. I personally would never hunt these public lands just due to the amount of people I see in these places. Usually opening morning consists of 5 to 10 trucks parked in each of the 5 parking areas for 3000 acres of land. My dad a few years back did sit for awhile on the public land, but after having 3 different hunters come up to him and ask if he had seen anything, he left.

The only suggestion I can give you is try to find the biggest piece of public land with little to poor access and try to get in about as far back as possible. Get there early before anyone else and go to the back edge of the public land furthest from the parking areas. I don't think that driving around knocking on doors is worth the hassle, because every piece of land that I have seen gets hunted .Most everyone hunts in Wisconsin or has family that hunts the land.

Good luck!

Don't have much to say about those county's, but WiBowHunter's analogy seems to be worthy....

I think most public lands get pounded pretty good on opening weekend - you might have better luck trying during the week when all the yahoos are back at work.

Good Luck !!

that is exactly what I was thinking, alot of hunters in Wis. thanks for the info maybe I'll flip a coin and decide if I'm going to try this hunt.

If you go after opening weekend, try dunnville bottoms near Menomonie, or farther south, Meadow Valley near Babcock. ( will more than likely get wet at Meadow Valley, lots of dikes and such) Good luck, have hunted both places with midweek success

thanks for the input, I'll have to see what kind of a drive that is, are there extra doe tags available in those areas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back