Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wisconsin Hunters/Fisherman about to be screwed..

stephenk22

If this bill passes it would grant land owners the first 3 feet into the water body.

This could potentially wipe out a number of trout fishing places (some trout streams are barely 3 feet in width in places) I don't know about the rest of you but it would severely decrease the amount of hunt-able water also (duck hunting in particular). I primarily float hunt small creeks for ducks, I would lose a large percentage of my hunting spots.

So, you are saying that instead of how it is in some states, where the state owns to the high water mark, this law would make it so in Wisconsin, the landowners is consider to own three feet out into the water, whether high water or low water?

Our stream access laws are terrible here in Pa.Landowner owns it all if on his property;no high water stuff here, so I understand your problem.Hopefully it wont pass

Our governor (Im a Wisconsin resident) Scott Walker is a worthless, spineless, politician that goes to the highest bidder. Welcome to the republican controlled state of wisconsin!!! Where you can get two deer tags, one doe and one buck, for less then $100 dollars as a non resident!!!! :) At least we do that right.....

I just contacted the Wisconsin DNR...they said they will be emailing me tonight with more details. Stay tuned.

I don't see how WI laws can effect what is still under Corp of Eng & the Fed. Inland waters & such. Besides state G&F regulations,it has to go thru the Feds.
I was under impression it was high watermark for real ownership line and the waterway was under a public entity(ACOE), usually left to G&F discretion in each state.
It's in contest in NM now if public has access to streams or can they be fenced out.But it's still under inland waterways the FEDs.
Or has that changed in the last 6 yrs too?

Walker is a wacko.

fwagner: will be looking forward to what they say. I hope you share here.

Based on my understanding this bill would allow landowners the ability to dredge 30 cubic yards of material in a water body, but not make that land necessarily private. This bill will be extremely harmful to our lakes and waters. Many fish species need these near shore areas to spawn. Also, these areas are important for lots of wildlife including ducks and beavers.

I understand property rights but we have a right to healthy populations of wildlife as well. We are spending all this money on stocking fish while at the same time are allowing a minority group of largely absentee landowners ruin the natural spawning ground of fish. This makes no sense. I urge all the folks in Wisconsin to contact their legislature on this issue

Last edited:
stephenk: now I see what you are referring to. If you click on the link it is right there in the second paragraph. First I heard about this in reference to this particular bill. Sportsman better start getting involved

Our governor (Im a Wisconsin resident) Scott Walker is a worthless, spineless, politician that goes to the highest bidder. Welcome to the republican controlled state of wisconsin!!! Where you can get two deer tags, one doe and one buck, for less then $100 dollars as a non resident!!!! :) At least we do that right.....

I am sorry but this is wrong. It is 165 for a license. It has been this same price for the last 15 years. Walker hasn't been in office that long so to put that one on him is bull.

If u are a 1st time buyer of a WI deer license or havent bought one in 10 yrs....its $79 for the NR buck tag, $20 for a NR doe tag.

Last edited:
If u are a 1st time buyer of a WI deer license or havent bought one in 10 yrs....its $79 for the NR buck tag, $20 for a NR doe tag.

I didn't know that but I have hunted 24 of the last 26 seasons and the last 15 have been as a non resident so I guess it didn't affect me. I know they started running some new programs a few years back to get more hunters.

Again the costs have been the same or really close for all my non resident years so to put that on walker is flat wrong. I hate half truths.

as a Wisconsin Land owner and former Wisconsin Resident (currently a Missouri res.) I'm not sure it would matter much if the land owner legally owns into the water all that much. in the last 20 years I've seen so many small mouth streams I fish damaged because of farmers planting right up to the banks. They remove all the grasses and cut down every tree that provides shade that keeps the water cool and the bank from eroding just to get one more row of corn. fishing holes that used to be 5 ft deep and produced fish are now silted in from the erosion. These Rivers are almost unrecognizable in stretches that cross open fields.

and I confirm, non-resident rifle and bow tags are over $160

I am sorry but this is wrong. It is 165 for a license. It has been this same price for the last 15 years. Walker hasn't been in office that long so to put that one on him is bull.

First time buyers get 50%.....research, then comment

I'm not putting the price of tags on walker...but he has pushed hard to sell public land, he is not a advocate of public access, that is a fact

Here is what the DNR emailed me.....i Fean,

Yesterday you asked me about how some pending legislation could affect fishing in trout streams. I did some digging and this is what I could find on the legislation you were asking about. You can view the bill details & status at http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab600. As it is pending legislation, it hasn’t been signed into law yet and must next go through the senate and finally to the governor’s desk. During that time it could stay the same; or have some changes; or die within the process - meaning that it wouldn’t become law. Any of these things could happen.

If you have any concerns or suggestions regarding the proposed bill I recommend contacting your area legislators to help them provide input as the bill makes its way through the legislature. You can find your local legislators at http://legis.wisconsin.gov/pages/cg/contact.aspx .

I appreciate your concern about the ability to enjoy our state’s wonderful natural resources and hope this information helps you better understand the process for regulation changes. If you ever have any future questions regarding current natural resources laws please feel free to contact us. Have a good afternoon and a great weekend

I don't see how WI laws can effect what is still under Corp of Eng & the Fed. Inland waters & such. Besides state G&F regulations,it has to go thru the Feds.
I was under impression it was high watermark for real ownership line and the waterway was under a public entity(ACOE), usually left to G&F discretion in each state.
It's in contest in NM now if public has access to streams or can they be fenced out.But it's still under inland waterways the FEDs.
Or has that changed in the last 6 yrs too?

Walker is a wacko.

The High water mark has changed to the "keep your feet wet" rule since 2001 and Walker had nothing to do with it. It was a law changed that was prompted through property tax rules.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/questions/access.html

First time buyers get 50%.....research, then comment

Fact is that is a very small percentage of tags being sold. We were both right but I am more right because I would bet that the majority of non resident tags are sold for the 165.

Like I said I have hunted WI every year but two for the last 26 years. Don't be a condescending

Back