Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Winter tent recommendations?

Paul in Idaho

I'm looking for suggestions for a new tent for shorter trips when setting up a complete wall tent camp isn't worth the time. This would be used mainly for base camps that I can drive to, so weight isn't a concern.

It needs to be a synthetic fabric so mold isn't a problem. It needs to have a stove jack so I can use a wood stove in it. Setup and takedown time needs to be faster than a wall tent.

So far my research points to a Seek Outside Redcliff. I like it since it meets my main needs and is still lightweight enough (about 9 pounds with stove) that I could backpack it for a late season hunt.

Are there others I should consider?

Thanks,
Paul

Maybe a Luxe Octopeak?

I don’t have any experience with them, just something I came across in my research.
I’m going with a Kodiak Flex Bow, next year. It’s not synthetic and you have to install a stove jack. So, not what you’re looking for.

May be more than what you are looking for but I just bought the Cabelas Alaknak. I have the 12x20 which took me about 30 minutes or so by myself to put up. The 12x12 may be closer to what your looking for. I'm sure one person could put it up in 20 minutes or so. Has some of the benefits of a wall tent without the weight and frame to worry about.

Seek Outside and LUXE both look like good options. However, keep in mind that even synthetic material will mold under the right conditions. Best bet is to always dry your tent thoroughly after use. In most cases, silnylon only takes a few hours hanging in the basement.

I have an alaknak 12x12. I can set it up fully in 30-40 minutes. With the wood stove going it will cook you out. It’s obviously for pickup camping. It serves my needs well. Without stove in it 3 cots no problem. With stove only getting 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back