Winter Deep Snow Camping

For winter camping I like to use ultralight sleeping bags mainly cause they're so easy and compact. When I was in the army we would use the standard issue with the tents they gave us. It was really thin but I brought the summer set as well to make a border around me to "store" the cold air coming in. Honestly I would just wear thermal under shirts and pants, that is usually enough to keep me warm.

I imagine there are complications though are there ways to mitigate issues with a sled pulled behind X Country skis? Anyone use such? I've been turned on to the Alta Hok skis and think this may be a great way to roam around though pulling a sled would seem to be a challenge whereas snowshoes and sled would do fine.
Really like the ski aspect, especially with the wide based skis.

I imagine there are complications though are there ways to mitigate issues with a sled pulled behind X Country skis? Anyone use such? I've been turned on to the Alta Hok skis and think this may be a great way to roam around though pulling a sled would seem to be a challenge whereas snowshoes and sled would do fine.
I used to pull a toboggan on my skis all the time. Started when my daughter was an infant and stopped when my son was old enough to ski on his own. I have one made by Wilderness Engineering. Haven't used it in some years now that the kids are older. Keep thinking I'll put it to use on some hut trips. I manage to forget it every year for 3rd season elk hunting but then again there is not enough snow most years.

This has been setup since November 2nd or so I have a fly over the entire tent consisting of 3 tarps. I pull one small tarp to open the stove pipe hold and can have it warm in 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 20191228_103548.jpg
    20191228_103548.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
Yep, we used a sled to ski in to winter camp. We packed gear in dry bags to keep tight and dry. Be sure to lash the gear tightly to the sled. It's not too bad skiing on trails or flat terrain, but can be tricky on sidehills. We skied with backcountry wider skis. Some skiers use a light pole harness system to keep the sled directly behind.

sleds can be pretty nice... if you are on skis with any serious amount of vertical to be covered its worth rigging some sort of poles to help control the sled, the linked thread has a bunch of options described in detail...

I spent 4 nights where it got down to single digits and high in the teens, cold camped in a ozark trail 4 season tent. Used a cheap air pad about 4" thick, put a foam pad with the reflective cover on top. Used a cheap -20 deg bag and put my 20 deg mummy bag inside it. Slept with thick socks on, and thermals, also a heavy hat. I stayed warm while sleeping, but man did it suck getting dressed in the cold. I am looking into hot tent for the next time.

If you dig out for the fire, are you able to dig to shape for heat reflection towards the tent area?

Hard to visually share my question... So you dig out for the fire, the portion dug out, can you use the snow removed to shape a wall enough for a heat reflector or is that not worth the time for the heat return value?
Easier to use collected wood?

I tired it last year and I've got a Free tent stove to anyone interested in the Denver Area.

If you dig out for the fire, are you able to dig to shape for heat reflection towards the tent area?

Hard to visually share my question... So you dig out for the fire, the portion dug out, can you use the snow removed to shape a wall enough for a heat reflector or is that not worth the time for the heat return value?
Easier to use collected wood?
The fire was more to keep warm while cooking dinner (and drinking), not so much to warm the tent or anything. Not a bad idea you have though!

I had a buddy tell me once he dug like a 4x8 ft snow bunker and covered it with branches or something over night when his sled broke down in the backcountry. Stayed there 2 days before his buddies got him....... said the bunker stayed warm when covered......... eff that......

A few years ago when my kids were growing up, we lived in a wall tent camp on the weekends. A decent size is 10x15. Five ft sidewalls make it really comfortable. We built a log frame about 2-3 ft high and placed the tent inside. That way when the snow came off the roof it didn't fall against the tent. We also stretched a tarp over the tent to an external log frame. That kept the humidity from freezing on the inside of the tent and then raining on you when you light the stove.

We put a 10 inch log across the inside of the tent to define the sleeping area. Behind that we put in two bales of straw and covered that with a tarp. Sleeping was soft, warm and dry. The front half of the tent was the stove, clothes, boots and guns. A rope on the ridgepole was great for drying, pants, boot liners, socks, underwear, coats, etc. To minimize packing we packed 1 old pair of romeo slippers for midnight runs to the privy. commonly called the piss slippers.

Usually we had a cook tent set up with a tarp cover for a kitchen / dining room. We had a stove in there also. We had a fold up picnic table to eat on. This set up kept the humidity down in the sleeping tent. Tents, stoves, propane, bags, gear and us fit on four horses. We called this a family outing for 5 weekends.

It was easy for 2-4 of us but got to be too much for just me.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back