MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Winter Deep Snow Camping

Sytes

Interested in the tips and tricks for camping in deep snow.
What's your usual gear for setting camp, etc?

I have never done it, but based on my friends experience when he hunted in Montana with me last year, and it was only 24f, he froze, not because of his sleeping bag, it was the crap sleeping pad he was sleeping on!
It meant a 140 mile round trip to Dillon to buy a decent pad!
Cheers
Richard

Interested in the tips and tricks for camping in deep snow.
What's your usual gear for setting camp, etc?
Likely depends on your mode of transportation and length of stay. We skied in and pulled a sled with tent, sleeping bags, and basically what you would bring for camping anytime. An important technique we learned the hard way was to prepare the tent site by packing a level spot prior to erecting the tent. Otherwise your body creates depressions and ridges which become uncomfortable during the night. Ensure that your Jetboil or whatever cooking devise will operate properly in cold and snow.
Consider the amount of condensation which might build in your tent. Secure boots and clothing so as not to freeze or get wet at night.

It's impressive how even a candle can heat a small tent. We once skied several miles up Teepee Creek north of Yellowstone and camped during a full moon. It was really cool to glass the elk across the drainage. It was bright enough to ski at night and loads of fun. 'Best aspect was that all the griz were sleeping in their dens.:D

Sometimes I watch the Youtuber Survival Russia. Lots of winter camping. I think he's cut of a different (tougher) cloth.

I used to winter camp a bit, and it was good for the experience. I’ve since mostly quit because it’s more fun to backpack the rest of the year. :) I did do one winter trip last year.
Camping on snow is really no different than any other cold weather camp other than tent site prep. Like noted above, you can kind of engineer your tent site, dig a hole in the vestibule for some extra space, etc. Moisture management in your sleep system is much trickier in the super cold, even in dry conditions, but that’s a long rabbit trail and not really what you asked. It’s also not a big deal for a night or two.

Camping or backpacking?

Camping, bring a bail of straw to put under the tent.
Backpacking, shovel flat area, put down separate moisture barrier, then tent.

I never bothered too much with try to keep liquid water around. But if you're camping you can bring an insulated water cooler with warm water in it, that'll last a while, especially if stored inside a vehicle.
Backpacking I just always brought a crap load of fuel and melted water as needed.

It can be fun... sort of.

When it's so cold condensation is freezing to the inside of your tent and falling down on you in the middle of the night waking you up, it gets old fast. Everything takes longer and if generally harder.

Reactions: Guy
So I haven't winter camped in years but when I lived in Northwest Ontario we would would forgo a tent and build a snow quinzee. We would line the sleeping shelf with lots of cut pine boughs. Bring a good pad and bag and you will be very comfortable. Here is a link to a decent website. https://www.wildernesscollege.com/quinzee.html

Enjoy.... winter camping is so beautiful and peaceful!! I now have the itch to go myself!!

I've ski toured and then camped a couple of times. Tent camping requires warmer gear, a bit more prep on camp... nothing much more to add to what has been said.

I did a trip in February in the Adirondacks and we stayed in a three walled shelter similar to this one, an option like this is great for first timers. Hut and/or yurts are fun as well.

1576766079687.png

Honestly, I'm not super into winter camping. I will go if there is a specific goal... hunting/climbing/skiing or something like that, but I'm not particularly inclined to camp for the sake of camping in the winter.

You'll need snow stakes for your tent, they are much longer and wider than normal stakes that will do nothing to anchor a tent in the snow. They also make anchors that look like single breast bra, but I have never used one.

We have enough huts and yurts around my parts that the only reason to camp in the snow is because you want to camp in the snow. My friends that are into it usually dig snow caves. For me this kind of thing is in the realm of "It sure was fun" when recounted from a comfy chair in a warm house!

Stomp the snow down with snowshoes working your way around in a circle. Dig out a hole to set the stove in. This way it acts as a sump there and you do not get wet. Drop a decent tarp on top of the upper portion of snow and throw bags down.
For anchors we buried some wood logs down in the snow with ropes attached. I attached a picture of our set up but its kind of hard to see inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 67
Search Youtube for "Hot tent" camping. There's a ton of stuff. They're mostly Canadians it seems. I like that Survivor Russia guy also. His videos on Siberian Log fires, in particular, are pretty fascinating. If you're looking to cold camp, good luck. I've spent just enough nights backpacking in single digits to know I don't like it. Frozen boots in the morning never seems to warm up.

Stomp the snow down with snowshoes working your way around in a circle. Dig out a hole to set the stove in. This way it acts as a sump there and you do not get wet. Drop a decent tarp on top of the upper portion of snow and throw bags down.
For anchors we buried some wood logs down in the snow with ropes attached. I attached a picture of our set up but its kind of hard to see inside.
I dig those snow trekker tents.

-30 bag I debate even having a fire. If it stays subzero you won’t be getting wet anyway. Having daytime heat is nice though. Fire or stove for cooking and maybe thaw your feet

I used to do some snow camping/trekking in Sierra's in winter . Snow shoe or mountain ski in , I usually stayed in a tent or built snow caves. Rarely had a fire. I melted water for coffee/tea & drinking.
Frozen boots were the biggest problem in the mornings. Down was my friend.

If you are on Facebook there is a "traditional winter camping" group that has tons of info. Good luck and have fun, I usually get out a few times and winter camp along a lake and ice fish. My grandpa used to do a ton of winter camping with his rabbit hunting beagles, I should try and find some pictures of the homemade winter campers of his

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back