Winter archery equipment

I bowhunt in Nebraska every December in negative temps and the only difference in my equipment is a camoskinz sleeve because of bulky clothing. I don't like arm guards because I have had the string catch on them, but haven't had any problems with the camoskinz sleeve. Good luck on the hunt!

It was mentioned above, but I will repeat because it is imprtant. Leave your bow in the cold. Do NOT bring it into any warmed area. Consensation will cause creaks and anything mechanical will freeze up. (Same goes for release)

As far as clothing, I wear more on the core of my body and minimize cothing on my arms. (Think vest). Practice with gloves, (Including your bow hand). I prefer thin gloves while shooting. (Polypropelyne or wool army liner). I wear these underneath my mittens. At the moment of truth, dump the mittens.

I have tree stand hunted in temps as low as -20F and never had a mechanical failure. It can be tough to get the muscles loose though.

Good luck and check in with hunt report.

15 Dec-15 Jan archery hunt Dinkshooter asks, "Does anything big have it's horns still that late?"

In Montana, the bull elk don't drop anters until Feb or March. Do they lose them that early in Colorado?

[QUOTE just a thought but you might want to reduce your draw weight a little because having alot of clothes on might make your bow difficult to draw. /QUOTE]

Great advice. I once sat on stand for three hours in about 12 degrees and when the shot finally came, I couldn't pull the bow back.

Last edited:
This thread is more evidence that I have wasted my life.

Enjoy your hunt and keep us posted.

15 Dec-15 Jan archery hunt Dinkshooter asks, "Does anything big have it's horns still that late?"

In Montana, the bull elk don't drop anters until Feb or March. Do they lose them that early in Colorado?

Moose

Back