Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wind and timing questions

Slim Pickens

Hello All, this is my first question I have posted on here after my intro and a few weeks lurking. I have already learned quite a bit from all of you and I hope to be able to regularly contribute to the group. I just returned from a short archery elk hunt in Oregon. The climate is very dry and we focused on hunting areas with some sort of water source. We stumbled across this fantastic looking wallow that had been dug out on the end of a small meadow. Based upon our scouting and Google earth search, this looks to be the only water for miles. As we walked around the meadow, we found a TON of elk sign and the whole place had the beautiful rank stench of elk and beds everywhere. The only problem we could find was getting into this little valley requires a hike through some extremely dense and dry forest from all angles. The ground just explodes with every step. My questions are A) If we were to set up somewhere on the edge of this meadow, what sort of wind direction should we be looking for. I have heard elk prefer not to enter an open area with the wind at their backs so how would we best set ourselves to get them to enter? B) What time of day would be our best timing on getting to a spot like this and how long would you remain? Thanks everyone in advance for any input.

Slim

Can't say much about playing the wind, but if it were me I would be in that spot from an hour before sunrise till dark. Try to mask your scent as best as you can with spray/wafers/etc. Just be as quiet as you can and see what happens. If there is elk sign like you say, they will be there.

A) Elk enter the meadow into the wind. If the meadow is between high and low my money says they enter from the high side. This places you at the low end of the meadow on the upwind side. Find a shooting lane to the high side and wait it out.

B)Early morning and early evening. So many variables for individual sets but general rule is they feed at night into the openings and hit heavy timber thru the day. I've watched elk slowly work toward an open feed area for a couple hours. They often bed just inside the timber just off the openings right up till dusk then they move into the park to feed all night. I watched a group of 5 bulls this weekend. One bull made a mad dash right into the opening while the other four circled the opening very alert. Elk are nuts and the best advice here is sit it as long as you can take it.

Hope it helps a little. Good luck!

As far as the wind goes I think it's something you have to learn about each spot. Each piece of topography channels the wind differently. There is often no "right" spot to set up but there is always many bad spots you need to avoid. Try to figure out all of the bad spots so you can avoid them.
If you walk around the area the elk will smell that you have been there so approach in a way that you can set up without walking across there path.
Be there before daylight and leave after dark.

Thanks for the great responses! I am planning on heading back next week and will put this advice to the test. Hopefully I can show off some pictures of the results. Oh, and the Big Lebowski quote is fantastic by the way elkmagnet :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back