Win .243 Ammo Suggestions Please

Sounds like kinda everything works, no surprise. I like 90 or 95 BT’s for factory stuff in .243.
Were it available when I was shooting a little factory I’d have started with 90 tipped game kings, but they were out of stock for a very long time.

I'm compiling a list of all of these suggestions, thanks everyone.

I'll be honest, I didn't think there would be half this many responses. My perception going by thread titles was that very few shoot .243 anymore in favor of all of the 6.5, PRC, Creedmoor, AI, etc. Sometimes it felt like I needed to consult a DE&I professional to sort it all out.😉
Nice to see the .243 Win hanging in there!

I will second the nastiness of 90g Bergers on antelope. It was quite the graphic kill. I switched back to Nosler BT after that trip.

I will second the nastiness of 90g Bergers on antelope. It was quite the graphic kill. I switched back to Nosler BT after that trip.
I had some graphic kills but with the 190 Berger in my RUM. Don't think we ever had a 95 grain .243 exit. mtmuley

My daughter, dad and father in law have used..

70 grain Hammer Hunter
90 or 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
95 grain SST
100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter

On deer, antelope and a desert bighorn ewe.

All have worked well

I'm compiling a list of all of these suggestions, thanks everyone.

I'll be honest, I didn't think there would be half this many responses. My perception going by thread titles was that very few shoot .243 anymore in favor of all of the 6.5, PRC, Creedmoor, AI, etc. Sometimes it felt like I needed to consult a DE&I professional to sort it all out.😉
Nice to see the .243 Win hanging in there!
I’ve owned one for almost 15 years and I’ve personally never shot an animal with it. It is always the rifle that gets shared or borrowed as I know it’s a solid shooting rifle. When people see how good it shoots with them behind it, their confidence goes through the roof. My wife has shot a few deer and a pronghorn with it, my younger brother used it for years until he bought his own rifle. Some day I’ll have to shoot something with it! I use Barnes 85gr TSX in handloads but only because I’ve stocked up on that bullet for years. Too stubborn to change to the 80gr TTSX now.

Last edited:
100 gr Nosler Partitions all day long. They break bones and penetrate the tough angles when needed, but also kill quickly with a standard broadside lung shot. Between myself, my hunting partner and our kids, there have been many freezers filled with the help of this little bullet. Mostly deer, a few antelope and at least 2 cow elk that I can remember. Even had complete pass through on a lung shot cow elk @ 270 yds. Impressive little cartridge / bullet.

Factory ammo I have had great results with 95 grain Nosler BT on antelope and deer. I reload but haven't done any for my .243 yet...waiting to use up all my Nosler ammo.

Back