Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Will the Great Salt Lake dry up?

It would possibly be feasible to move flood water from the east coast to the west. The infrastructure is almost there to accommodate it. It would though require a large investment by most likely the Fed's to do it. You could clean and use some of the existing LNG and oil pipelines that are sitting there not being used. Connect them via pump stations. You could then solve 2 issues. 1. bringing water out west and 2. draining the eastern reservoirs before a large storm to curb the flooding. It has been done on a smaller scale in I think Singapore. Just a thought though

It would possibly be feasible to move flood water from the east coast to the west. The infrastructure is almost there to accommodate it. It would though require a large investment by most likely the Fed's to do it. You could clean and use some of the existing LNG and oil pipelines that are sitting there not being used. Connect them via pump stations. You could then solve 2 issues. 1. bringing water out west and 2. draining the eastern reservoirs before a large storm to curb the flooding. It has been done on a smaller scale in I think Singapore. Just a thought though
Singapore is 0.23 times as big as Rhode Island

Singapore is 0.23 times as big as Rhode Island
And? they also have a population of 5.5 million who's entire fresh water is transported through recycled pipes from the states

Seems like it would be much more cost effective to conserve the water that’s going in. It’s 600 miles as the crow flies to the ocean. Either way it’s a huge problem for the region.

View attachment 259683
You piss off a lot of Nevadans by putting that pipe line in. Elk, deer, sage grouse, LCT, California Bighorn sheep could all be impacted even following the I-80 corridor would have ridiculous environmental impacts. Im not a proponent of moving water from one place to another, even if its for conservation. I guess its time for Utah to start looking at capping the arsenic laden soil in the lake bed

You piss off a lot of Nevadans by putting that pipe line in. Elk, deer, sage grouse, LCT, California Bighorn sheep could all be impacted even following the I-80 corridor would have ridiculous environmental impacts. Im not a proponent of moving water from one place to another, even if its for conservation. I guess its time for Utah to start looking at capping the arsenic laden soil in the lake bed
I’m not overly familiar of the environmental impacts of an above ground pipeline carrying water in an already established freeway corridor. I’m sure there are some, but I would think they would be largely mitigated by the freeway already being there

Perhaps there are some creative thinkers out there that can find a way for it to benefit northern Nevada as well?

I’m not overly familiar of the environmental impacts of an above ground pipeline carrying water in an already established freeway corridor. I’m sure there are some, but I would think they would be largely mitigated by the freeway already being there

Perhaps there are some creative thinkers out there that can find a way for it to benefit northern Nevada

Its a slippery slope. I am pretty sure the CIA investigated how they could get water from the Columbia to the Colorado river through NorCal and western Nevada. Time will tell all

Perhaps there are some creative thinkers out there that can find a way for it to benefit northern Nevada as well?
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of energy it would take to pump that much water 600 to 700 miles, over the Sierra Navada mountains to a final destination 4000 feet higher than the starting point. The pumping stations would have to be massive, and there would have to be a lot of them.

I think the guy who said something about Lake Bonneville is dead on. The great Salt Lake has been shrinking for 100's of years. Don't forget, it was once attached to the ocean, and began shrinking, hence the high salinity.

I don't want my tax dollars spent on studying ways to help the Great Salt Lake not shrink more. I'd rather have that money spent on helping single parent households, and helping widows survive.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of energy it would take to pump that much water 600 to 700 miles, over the Sierra Navada mountains to a final destination 4000 feet higher than the starting point. The pumping stations would have to be massive, and there would have to be a lot of them.
They would have to be powered by rechargeable batteries. No fossil fuel burning in California !!

We’ve been on this continent and kept history for what 300-500 years? And somehow we magically know how things were 10,000 years ago or what’s gonna happen in the future based on some guess about the past?

The arrogance of this philosophy amuses me.

Tell the Utahrds to pee in it to refill it.

....because they won't even allow desalination plants on the west coast because of endangered kelp frogs..or some other stupid nonsense.
Just so I am clear, there are none in California.....other than the largest one in the Western Hemisphere. Maybe Google is lying to me? Set me straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back