Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Will I die with moose and sheep points?

I'm 32 and in good health. I currently have 5 points each for moose and sheep in Wyoming. I apply in the random every year (~0.01-1.5% odds) and earn another point for each for free when I don't draw.

Assuming I can do a sheep or moose hunt until I'm 65 or so, what are the chances those extra 33 points get me a tag without getting lucky in the random draw?

Epsilon... :(

I had a pretty interesting conversation today with a buddy whose been applying in multiple states for different species for a lot of years. Here brought up to me the state of Wyoming. He said by looking at data and what not that is available he is fairly blown away by the number of higher preference point holders that seems to have dropped out. Especially after the fees increase. His wife has gone from a pool of over 1500 people to less than 300 in 3 years? Now that being said I am no draw guru by any means but, the state of Wyoming isn't drawing that many sheep tags to improve her odds that much. My point is keep on playing the game and one day you'll reap the benefits.

Every time I look at the chart that shows the number of point holders vs. number of points it makes me really wish I knew the age demographics of those higher point groups.

You never know. I’m staying in the game even as a nonresident. Can’t win if you don’t play. Fortunately I have two sons now (0.5 and 3.5 years old). They don’t know it yet, but if by chance my sticking with it pays off, they will have to pack a moose off the mountain (and quite possibly an old man as well). I’m hoping the high fees and age demographics help me out

I , like so many others on here have drawn some good tags over the years. It's certainly correct that you cant win if you don't play. All that said I would do some species differently and this includes moose. The draw odds are so bad in most states I would look hard at Idaho. If that didn't interest you I would be heading further north to Canada. If money is burning a hole in your pocket there is always Alaska. What about Quebec?

I'm 32 and in good health. I currently have 5 points each for moose and sheep in Wyoming. I apply in the random every year (~0.01-1.5% odds) and earn another point for each for free when I don't draw.

Assuming I can do a sheep or moose hunt until I'm 65 or so, what are the chances those extra 33 points get me a tag without getting lucky in the random draw?

Take this into consideration...in 1979 Wyoming issued around 2,000 moose permits. They now issue around 400. In that same year, Wyoming issued 400 sheep tags, now about 200.

I'll also throw this out there, I started applying as a NR in 1999 for moose and sheep, I was 31 years old...I drew moose on points and sort of "wasted" 3-4 points as the area I drew I could have hunted way before I did. I drew sheep this last year and the odds weren't 100%, but did snag a preference tag (73% draw odds).

I think a lot is going to depend on how many people draw and drop out. I also believe it depends on how moose and sheep do in the next 15-20 years.

If WY can get the train back on track and issue tag numbers of those in the late 70's...you have a very good chance.

If they continue to reduce tags (rightfully so for the resource), then you may not.

My theory is this on putting in for tags. I’m not guaranteed to draw anything Big 3 and odds aren’t getting any better it seems but if I die then it really won’t matter whether I had points or not left so why not go ahead and put in. All things pass away including us and money.

If I were a WY resident I'd keep throwing my name in the hat. As a nonresident last year was my last year for moose pts, I'm done with the $150 point fee, fortunately I drew a tag. I haven't been doing sheep, and won't be.

I , like so many others on here have drawn some good tags over the years. It's certainly correct that you cant win if you don't play. All that said I would do some species differently and this includes moose. The draw odds are so bad in most states I would look hard at Idaho. If that didn't interest you I would be heading further north to Canada. If money is burning a hole in your pocket there is always Alaska. What about Quebec?
Problem with ID is decreasing moose tag numbers, and the way they do the NR cap- it makes odds look a lot better than they are. Albeit it's a game I do play.

Having been lucky enough years ago to have killed moose, goat and sheep in my home state of Montana, I won't contribute to other states for their gouge on non-residents for bonus points. Isn't the 10X or more additional cost of non-resident tags over resident tags enough?

Having unsuccessfully applying every year for 32 or more years for a sheep, moose, or goat tag here in Montana I've accrued the maximum number of bonus points for those species. I'll be 74 when I fill out my applications this year, and in recent years I've wondered if I can still climb to the tops of the goat mountains, and no longer having horses, I wonder if I can still pack a moose out by myself. But I'll keep applying for as long as I can, but with the odds of drawing one of these coveted tags, I'll probably die with a huge pile of points.

Problem with ID is decreasing moose tag numbers, and the way they do the NR cap- it makes odds look a lot better than they are. Albeit it's a game I do play.
I agree with tough non resident odds in Idaho but I still think they are much better than most other states. Remember the non resident tag allocation and make sure you are applying in a unit that will have a tag available if your name is selected.

i just drew my first ram tag in Colorado so there is a chance for sure. I’m 34 and it was my 2nd year eligible after building the 3 weighted points

the bad news is you will die with them, the good news is that they don't take much if any space in your coffin. Keep applying

And, since they are not heritable, your kids will not fight over them when you are dead.

I'll never contribute to the sheep, moose, goat funds of the western states since I'm too old to have a reasonable chance. I will never hunt elk again after I cash in my current points. Just not worth it. Big Hunting is being priced and timed out of the realm of reasonableness for me.

I wonder if the various Game and Fish Departments fully realize the direct, negative consequences of what they are doing?

Another consideration is will the Wyoming population grow in the next 20-30 years like Colorado and Arizona have?

Yes all western states will see this. I think that is part of the problem with declining game numbers out west in a lot of areas. Several of the state's harvest statistics are a joke. I don't feel they are factoring in the higher pressure on the game animals from their own residents. The NR numbers haven't changed. Montana is a prime example. Peop!e moving there every day to experience the West leaving the city behind.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back