Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

There is a severe lack of alternatives being looked at, mainly because WOGA and some of the Task Force are simply not willing to listen. There is also a real lack of general knowledge from the Task Force about how the GF can function, is functioning, and what these changes they're throwing around will cause.
This cannot be overstated. When debate about removing the cap in order to allow the G&F to more biologically address how many NR Gen tags are issued was taking place, the Director of the G&F stated "Cannot say the method in which we currently issue gen tags is hindering us at all". This was ignored and debate pressed on. Direct quote was repeated to all TF members at the next meeting. It was ignored again.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested in some history on WY elk license allocations and regions: WGFD Summary Elk
There is not much new under the sun.

"An independent effort by the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association (WYOGA) generated a set of
recommendations in 1990 that included allocation of deer, elk, and antelope licenses to outfitters
(Appendix 4). The concept of “outfitter set‐aside licenses” was vigorously opposed by the public."

1655147397368.png

indeed

You
Could you flesh out your preference for that wish? Why do you think that is the right policy? Or is it about your personal hunting, your personal success, etc. I'd really like to know if this is just a manifestation of always needing more of something. I'm not sure how outfitting even changes anything in that regard. Would it make the trailhead less crowded? That's your right to wish for whatever you want but I assume you are a resident and have no problem getting tags now or tagging out on game. How do outfitted NR as opposed to DIY seem preferable?
To be clear I would vote/support anything to neuter outfitters. I haven’t always had that opinion. They have pissed me off. Wyoming and Montana are different animals I will send you a PM to keep from derailing the thread.

My email to Nesvick about simply not rolling over our resident allotment onto the NR draw was replied with "WG&F could get manage the herds without those licenses being sold", my response was "your response does not hold water". The licenses will get sold just to residents and then offered to NRs in a leftover draw or OTC. He stated my email would be shared with the Task Force, not sure if he did or not.
I also emailed our Governor, no response yet.

Many TF members have defended set asides by stating "this won't affect the resident opportunity at all......you can still go buy a general elk license.....". Having a tag in your pocket is only one part of the opportunity equation. In many parts of WY that opportunity also comes down to access. The more these licenses are incentivized (transferable landowner license, landowner set aside, type x, etc...) the more access and opportunity will decline. In many parts of the State, over objective elk herd are almost entirely the result of outfitters/leases and current landowner licenses. In some units landowner licenses account for all bull licenses issued. Many landowners/outfitters in some areas go to great lengths to keep elk on their properties and unavailable. This change in distribution has greatly affected opportunity.

Adding more "value" to these licenses, making them easily available to those with money will only worsen the situation for residents and non residents. This is not the North American model of wildlife management. If this has been brought up at TF I missed it. Transferable landowner licenses, increased numbers of landowner licenses, and landowner set asides will absolutely negatively impact my opportunity as a resident hunter and they will affect other diy hunter here as well. Increasing landowner licenses won't fix the problem....... all too often they are the problem. This may not be true in the NW part of the State with good amounts of federal land, but it certainly applies much of the eastern half.

Full list of emails:
Rusty Bell: [email protected];
Brian Nesvik [email protected]
Duaine Hagen [email protected]
Elissa Ruckle [email protected]
Joshua W.D. Coursey [email protected]
Lee Livingston [email protected]
Liisa Anselmi Dalton [email protected]
Pat Crank [email protected]
Peter Dube [email protected]
Representative - Sommers, Albert [email protected]
Representative - Flitner, Jamie [email protected]
Joe Schaffer [email protected]
Senator - Driskill, Ogden [email protected]
Senator - Hicks, Larry [email protected]
Sy Gilliland [email protected]
Tony Lehner [email protected]
Adam Teten [email protected]

Full list of emails:
Rusty Bell: [email protected];
Brian Nesvik [email protected]
Duaine Hagen [email protected]
Elissa Ruckle [email protected]
Joshua W.D. Coursey [email protected]
Lee Livingston [email protected]
Liisa Anselmi Dalton [email protected]
Pat Crank [email protected]
Peter Dube [email protected]
Representative - Sommers, Albert [email protected]
Representative - Flitner, Jamie [email protected]
Joe Schaffer [email protected]
Senator - Driskill, Ogden [email protected]
Senator - Hicks, Larry [email protected]
Sy Gilliland [email protected]
Tony Lehner [email protected]
Adam Teten [email protected]
Can I share this?

Many TF members have defended set asides by stating "this won't affect the resident opportunity at all......you can still go buy a general elk license.....". Having a tag in your pocket is only one part of the opportunity equation. In many parts of WY that opportunity also comes down to access. The more these licenses are incentivized (transferable landowner license, landowner set aside, type x, etc...) the more access and opportunity will decline. In many parts of the State, over objective elk herd are almost entirely the result of outfitters/leases and current landowner licenses. In some units landowner licenses account for all bull licenses issued. Many landowners/outfitters in some areas go to great lengths to keep elk on their properties and unavailable. This change in distribution has greatly affected opportunity.

Adding more "value" to these licenses, making them easily available to those with money will only worsen the situation for residents and non residents. This is not the North American model of wildlife management. If this has been brought up at TF I missed it. Transferable landowner licenses, increased numbers of landowner licenses, and landowner set asides will absolutely negatively impact my opportunity as a resident hunter and they will affect other diy hunter here as well. Increasing landowner licenses won't fix the problem....... all too often they are the problem. This may not be true in the NW part of the State with good amounts of federal land, but it certainly applies much of the eastern half.
Unless you want the over-crowded, short season, every square inch leased shit-show that Colorado is, I'd fight anything that puts higher value on tags

35 pages, very interested to hear the bellyaching if Colorado every got its act together and tightening things up. My only fear with Wyoming tightening Nonresident opportunity is we'll get even more crowding here

"An independent effort by the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association (WYOGA) generated a set of
recommendations in 1990 that included allocation of deer, elk, and antelope licenses to outfitters
(Appendix 4). The concept of “outfitter set‐aside licenses” was vigorously opposed by the public."

View attachment 225828

indeed

Option #1 looks good

Something to recommend to the task force is to take a "no action" option of just leaving things as they are...as well as opposing the "grand compromise".

In general, things are pretty good in Wyoming as they are regarding hunting, fishing, etc. here.
I really like your second comment Buzz. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Words to live by

Unless you want the over-crowded, short season, every square inch leased shit-show that Colorado is, I'd fight anything that puts higher value on tags

35 pages, very interested to hear the bellyaching if Colorado every got its act together and tightening things up. My only fear with Wyoming tightening Nonresident opportunity is we'll get even more crowding here
I bet Colorado will be following suit soon. I hope I am wrong

@JM77 I have read and tried listening to the meetings and must have missed it. But I have a couple questions.
1) Does WY have a moratorium on the number of outfitters allowed to be licensed in the state?
2) Is the number of hunter days limited to each outfitter? (Are they limited on the number of clients they can have)
3) If the 50% of outfitters subsidy doesn't sell in their draw do the remainder go to the resident draw or into the NR draw?

If the answer is NO to 1 and 2 I am worried about what will happen when the outfitters need more land for their clients to hunt.

Edit: I think I found the answer in the outfitter handbook. And looks like just need the $, insurance, 70 days of "experience" and pass the online test. Looks like 50% of NR tags is a good way to guarantee the family business survives for future generations and all relatives.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back