Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

First, I think that everyone (Hunters), believes that the residents of the State should have first dibs on the tags.

However, it seems to me that the only possible end result of this path would be that it will further limit the availability of NR tags, reduce access to hunt public land for NRs, thereby forcing those limited NR hunters to pay landowners and outfitters a substantial vig to hunt on private or publicly owned rancher leased property.

The State will have to charge more money to the NRs for those limited tags that the NR hunters do get, just to accommodate the revenue lost. The commissioners and politicians will be afraid to increase tag costs to residents of the State so they will have to find another way. They may have to rely on more federal funding (not paid for from WY residents), or the else the wildlife may suffer. Anytime you take government money you will have to pay a price in certain liberties. A more honest approach would be to pass that lost revenue into increased resident tag prices. Only then can a resident claim that they are really doing it for the benefit of the wildlife and not for their own self-interest.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I for one do find it offensive when someone states that they deserve more tags because they have made sacrifies to live the outdoor lifestyle to live in a State with few employment opportunities, lower incomes and have a harsh climate. Those of you who think this is in for an awaking. I find it humurous that folks seem to think that they can altomatically qualify to make more money just because of where they live. Sure, there are increased min wages, but people can't live off of that in those areas. Most folks have to get by paycheck to paycheck with 2 -3 household jobs in these areas just to pay the taxes.

It must be obvious TO EVERYONE post Covid 19, that most folks can work remotely from anywhere. People no longer need to pay over $11,000- $12,000 a year for property taxes on a modest 2000 sq. ft home and pay HIGH State taxes in a developed area; because as previously stated, they can work from anywhere (including WY). An person who works a remote job on the East Coast can work from WY, start work acouple of hours earler in the day and be done in time to still get outdoors every day.

These people will be moving to WY and your State revenues will rise, taxes (including yours will rise), and services will get better. But those folks will bring all their baggage with them as well. Your States politics will start to reflect a merger of your ideas and the newcomers; you will resent it but won’t be able to stop it.

No offense taken. I just really question Buzz and his motivation for posting this thread. Its no secret that He and others were bent when 90/10 wasn't passed awhile back. I'm quite certain he's enjoying the opportunity to needle NR's.
Here's a question back...if it weren't for me posting the information for you to see, you wouldn't even have anything to be bitching about would you?

My motive is to keep hunters informed...the intent of the platform that Randy graciously provides.

Glad you finally figured out Wyoming Residents have a strong desire to be treated the same as Residents in surrounding states via a 90% tag allocation. That's why the task force was convened, and in the first 1.5 days, the top priority was dealing with 90-10.

So, that only comes down to a couple conclusions...either I have an undue amount of influence on the task force, legislature, and commission...or there's a lot of Wyoming Residents that feel the same way. Could be a little of both as well. I'll let you decide for yourself.

Last edited:
I would not mind seeing a settlement of a system where we Go 80/20 on the split, 5% of tags from the 20 are specific for outfitters to draw and resell but we then give up the Wilderness rule?
Or create a pool of tags that will guarantee a small number or transferable tags to landowners who allow public hunting on property that they could sell in exchange for public access.
I honestly hate all these options, because having seen Colorado systems etc. they will never have enough and they will slowly keep taking a little more and giving even less.
I agree that there are lots of downsides to those systems. I like the trade for getting rid of wilderness rule. Besides the benifit to outfitters it provides sanctuaries for residents to not have to deal with nonresidents. I would like to see the idea for outfitters/landowners tags issued for ranch only and if allow access tag could be unit only. It would be a good trade and compromise. I think it is what is really needed in Montana. I am glad WY actually manages it herds. I am also worried that like Randy says the best way to become a wildlife expert is to get elected. At least a task force with multiple parties is looking at this. I just hope that game and fish can manage they way they see fit and not some politician. Look at Montana and their battles and now a movement for a ballot issue to undo a last minute end around. Sad when rules get changed when like someone said 17 years into it and lot of money, time and effort might be made virtually useless. Points should be totally scrapped for what has become a very limited resource. If residents want all the tags they have that right but I would recommend charging what is the non resident price for the big 5 for everyone and put that money back into growing the resource not fighting over the last shot no matter what the split becomes. Concerned that some assumptions that got presented to legislature about fees and ect with changes that they are way off and that the golden goose will get killed and with it the budget for fish and game and more importantly the management of this wonderful but limited resource.

Here's a question back...if it weren't for me posting the information for you to see, you wouldn't even have anything to be bitching about would you
Pretty easy to find shit to bitch about on the Internet.

Is there or has there ever been discussions about making NR D/E/A completely random like it is for residents? I know the task force has 90-10 and a list of other thing so I don’t know if that would be worth your time or the headache I’m sure it would cause, just curious.

If I were king of Wyoming for a day here’s what I’d do
100/0 m/s/g/b/gb
90/10 d/e/a random, no points
Unit/weapon specific tags

Also I’m not so sure of everyone staying remote. I’m sure some people will, but one of my wife’s friends applied for a job in Arizona that she thought was suppose to be remote but they came back after one of her interviews and offered her a bunch more money and paid relocation to be in person. I can’t see companies having 100M dollar buildings sitting around for long. Not all of this is directed at you buzz I figure it might get buried.

Pretty easy to find shit to bitch about on the Internet.

Is there or has there ever been discussions about making NR D/E/A completely random like it is for residents? I know the task force has 90-10 and a list of other thing so I don’t know if that would be worth your time or the headache I’m sure it would cause, just curious.

If I were king of Wyoming for a day here’s what I’d do
100/0 m/s/g/b/gb
90/10 d/e/a random, no points
Unit/weapon specific tags

Also I’m not so sure of everyone staying remote. I’m sure some people will, but one of my wife’s friends applied for a job in Arizona that she thought was suppose to be remote but they came back after one of her interviews and offered her a bunch more money and paid relocation to be in person. I can’t see companies having 100M dollar buildings sitting around for long. Not all of this is directed at you buzz I figure it might get buried.
Everything is on the table with the task force...your ideas are not out in left field or anything.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the list I put up, if even a handful of those issues are sorted out I'd be surprised. There's only 18 months dedicated to this by the task force.

The low hanging fruit appears to be 90-10 for the big-5...and even getting that perfect will take some effort (as Oak and others pointed out the problems with it under current point/random splits).

Honestly, if these were easy issues, they would have been solved a long time ago.

I find it humurous that folks seem to think that they can altomatically qualify to make more money just because of where they live.
Why is that humorous? The pay for most any job is HIGHLY correlated to geography. Just looked up a current job posting that I qualify for in Evanston. Unlikely I’d be able to slide in at the rate of pay commensurate with 12 years of experience, but for the sake of argument, let’s say I could: I’d still be taking a 20% pay cut, and cost of living is 10% higher compared to where I live now.

So if I did make the move the last thing I’d want is to be is overly generous to some yahoo NR hunter from IA by giving him a sweetcake cut of the best tags in my home state at a price far below the value of said tag.

Why is that humorous? The pay for most any job is HIGHLY correlated to geography. Just looked up a current job posting that I qualify for in Evanston. Unlikely I’d be able to slide in at the rate of pay commensurate with 12 years of experience, but for the sake of argument, let’s say I could: I’d still be taking a 20% pay cut, and cost of living is 10% higher compared to where I live now.

So if I did make the move the last thing I’d want is to be is overly generous to some yahoo NR hunter from IA by giving him a sweetcake cut of the best tags in my home state at a price far below the value of said tag.
Unless, of course, he and the rest of the NRs are basically paying the freight for your wildlife management while you hunt damn near for free... It's not like you wouldn't be profiting.

In the case of the western states where most of the wildlife are hosted on federal, not state lands, in state hunters are subsidized up one side, down the other.

Buzzh rebuttal ETA t-5 minutes and counting...

Unless, of course, he and the rest of the NRs are basically paying the freight for your wildlife management while you hunt damn near for free... It's not like you wouldn't be profiting.

In the case of the western states where most of the wildlife are hosted on federal, not state lands, in state hunters are subsidized up one side, down the other.

I think a lot of eastern and southern hunters look at the western states and shake their head in disbelief. It’s likely the residents of western states are so close to the issue, they don’t recognize the welfare system their state and G&F operate under. Honestly, I’d be embarrassed.

Here's my rebuttal.

1. You aren't required to hunt Wyoming.

2. I was just talking to my neighbor 10 minutes ago, he's the executive director of the Wyoming Golf Association, great guy, want me to ask him what golf clubs you should buy?

I think a lot of eastern and southern hunters look at the western states and shake their head in disbelief. It’s likely the residents of western states are so close to the issue, they don’t recognize the welfare system their state and G&F operate under. Honestly, I’d be embarrassed.
...as they're filling out their NR applications.

First, I think that everyone (Hunters), believes that the residents of the State should have first dibs on the tags.

However, it seems to me that the only possible end result of this path would be that it will further limit the availability of NR tags, reduce access to hunt public land for NRs, thereby forcing those limited NR hunters to pay landowners and outfitters a substantial vig to hunt on private or publicly owned rancher leased property.

The State will have to charge more money to the NRs for those limited tags that the NR hunters do get, just to accommodate the revenue lost. The commissioners and politicians will be afraid to increase tag costs to residents of the State so they will have to find another way. They may have to rely on more federal funding (not paid for from WY residents), or the else the wildlife may suffer. Anytime you take government money you will have to pay a price in certain liberties. A more honest approach would be to pass that lost revenue into increased resident tag prices. Only then can a resident claim that they are really doing it for the benefit of the wildlife and not for their own self-interest.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I for one do find it offensive when someone states that they deserve more tags because they have made sacrifies to live the outdoor lifestyle to live in a State with few employment opportunities, lower incomes and have a harsh climate. Those of you who think this is in for an awaking. I find it humurous that folks seem to think that they can altomatically qualify to make more money just because of where they live. Sure, there are increased min wages, but people can't live off of that in those areas. Most folks have to get by paycheck to paycheck with 2 -3 household jobs in these areas just to pay the taxes.

It must be obvious TO EVERYONE post Covid 19, that most folks can work remotely from anywhere. People no longer need to pay over $11,000- $12,000 a year for property taxes on a modest 2000 sq. ft home and pay HIGH State taxes in a developed area; because as previously stated, they can work from anywhere (including WY). An person who works a remote job on the East Coast can work from WY, start work acouple of hours earler in the day and be done in time to still get outdoors every day.

These people will be moving to WY and your State revenues will rise, taxes (including yours will rise), and services will get better. But those folks will bring all their baggage with them as well. Your States politics will start to reflect a merger of your ideas and the newcomers; you will resent it but won’t be able to stop it.
Most employees are mistaken when they believe their jobs will be remote for the long-term. IBM tried work from home years ago, it isn't efficient. Several new york companies are already telling workers they will take pay cuts if they don't return to the office.

Most employees are mistaken when they believe their jobs will be remote for the long-term. IBM tried work from home years ago, it isn't efficient. Several new york companies are already telling workers they will take pay cuts if they don't return to the office.
I pray you're right. I make a decent little living keeping high rises and large office buildings warm and cool

Wyoming rightfully has the upper hand in this. They can double NR fees and they would still sell a ton of tags and PPs. Hunters are supplying a ridiculous amount of demand, I'd be upset if my state didn't take a reasonable amount of advantage of the situation.

Here's my rebuttal.

1. You aren't required to hunt Wyoming.

2. I was just talking to my neighbor 10 minutes ago, he's the executive director of the Wyoming Golf Association, great guy, want me to ask him what golf clubs you should buy?
Wyoming has a Golf Association?

Back