Caribou Gear

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

The main point was with 90/10, what "extra" tags would be available to outfitters through the 50% NR draw, especially with landowners able to participate? Take for an example area 7 elk. Ten percent of the tags would be 150/2 = 75 for the outfitter draw. It's totally believable that currently 75 NR type 1 tags already book outfitters in 7. When including the ability for landowner to sponsor tags, the outfitters gain nothing, if not maybe lose tags. Because of this, Joe thinks outfitters will not have to seek additional leases for private land, which was my main point against the outfitter draw.

My rebuttal to this was we very well could lose HMA landowners when they figure out they can profit bigger $ from sponsoring NR in the draw.
Thanks for elaborating @JM77 . This helps as I formulate my own comments to the TF. Wyoming’s HMA/WIA is the best private access agreement that I’ve ever used. It certainly would be a shame, for both Rs and NRs, to see it compromised.

Thanks for the email list and suggested comments. I have sent emails to all of the members on the WT. As an NR commenting, I mainly am opposed to the outfitter set aside. WY is welcome to set up whatever R/NR split they want, but I dislike the idea of the welfare to guides and outfitters.

Anyone using Utah as an example might as well be saying they should run the rest of the gov't like CA.
Utah has more people within an hour of SLC than the entire state of Wyoming. If Wyoming managed everything like Utah the TF would be wearing their special underwear, sneaking Mtn Dew during the breaks and probably have 3 wives.

Sorry couldn't help it. Just seems like every state points at someone doing it worse and says well they're doing...

In my feedback to the taskforce I commented that the outfitter allocation doesn't make any sense. I find it very hard to believe the outfitter representatives believe the argument that their clients should get 50% of the NR tags based on the revenue generated. If this was a good idea and they believe it, why aren't the outfitters representatives instead pushing for tag auctions and allocation to non-resident aliens (both terrible ideas!) to get even more revenue.

ya know it started out as the 90/10 only on the "big 5" species only,,and if i recall,"we would never do that for deer, elk and antelope" back in the day,,"which wasnt very long ago",,now look,as soon as they have there foot in the door they are after 90/10 for all,,then to boot they are after these outfitter alocated additional tags too..I say wyoga is running the show or has a heavy hand in the t f and nobody cares about us non-residents i m o

ya know it started out as the 90/10 only on the "big 5" species only,,and if i recall,"we would never do that for deer, elk and antelope" back in the day,,"which wasnt very long ago",,now look,as soon as they have there foot in the door they are after 90/10 for all,,then to boot they are after these outfitter alocated additional tags too..I say wyoga is running the show or has a heavy hand in the t f and nobody cares about us non-residents i m o
The people "after" 90/10 and the people pushing an outfitter allocation are (mostly) separate sets of people

Sounds like rent-seeking by the outfitters. They benefit and everyone else loses. Residents proceed with caution, in my experience guides are generally much less deferential in the field than NRs.

I've spoken up against my own state's discrimination against nonresidents, which pales in comparison to the way the western states do it even while containing vast majority of federal public land.

I do appreciate those of u that have fought this. U guys seem to mostly use your influence to benefit the DIY NR and I am very grateful for that.

@SnowyMountaineer google says WY's population has stayed pretty stable this decade... now lots of folks running up there from CO... so I'm sure it's more crowded, but question for you, do you feel like you see more hunters in WY than you did in past years?

@SnowyMountaineer google says WY's population has stayed pretty stable this decade... now lots of folks running up there from CO... so I'm sure it's more crowded, but question for you, do you feel like you see more hunters in WY than you did in past years?
I am SEEING more hunters, but I think that's more a function of the amount of downed beetle kill trees -- it's so hard to move through the timber that everyone just stays on the edges hoping the elk will step out.

There's has been an explosion of other recreational use...all the places I used to go to get away from folks (at least in the Snowies) have turned into a parking lot full of CO plates. I think I read that BOTH Greeley and Fort Collins grew roughly as much as the whole population of Cheyenne... so I guess the overflow from CO is to be expected.

I am SEEING more hunters, but I think that's more a function of the amount of downed beetle kill trees -- it's so hard to move through the timber that everyone just stays on the edges hoping the elk will step out.

There's has been an explosion of other recreational use...all the places I used to go to get away from folks (at least in the Snowies) have turned into a parking lot full of CO plates. I think I read that BOTH Greeley and Fort Collins grew roughly as much as the whole population of Cheyenne... so I guess the overflow from CO is to be expected.
Yeah CO added 2 Wyomings since I graduated highschool. I imagine the snowies look like a lot of CO.

This will be my 10th fall here. I bounce around general areas year to year so it’s really hard to say. If I had to make a call, for deer and elk, to me it’s about the same overall. Some places are busier, some are less busy. For bears I perceive more pressure on the whole. I think it’s just gotten more popular.

Anecdotally, resident draws for cow elk and antelope seem to have evened out for lack of a better term; I attribute it to two things mostly: 1)Wyoming’s G&F website has gotten way more user friendly over time. 2)The go-hunt type data availability. Not as many resident draw odds “bargains”. There are still a few, but seemingly less. Again that’s mostly biased toward the western half of the state.

I definitely see more recreational traffic.

This will be my 10th fall here. I bounce around general areas year to year so it’s really hard to say. If I had to make a call, for deer and elk, to me it’s about the same overall. Some places are busier, some are less busy. For bears I perceive more pressure on the whole. I think it’s just gotten more popular.

Anecdotally, resident draws for cow elk and antelope seem to have evened out for lack of a better term; I attribute it to two things mostly: 1)Wyoming’s G&F website has gotten way more user friendly over time. 2)The go-hunt type data availability. Not as many resident draw odds “bargains”. There are still a few, but seemingly less. Again that’s all biased toward the western half of the state.

I definitely see more recreational traffic.
I was just curious, no point to be made. Just interesting to see how people perceive things are changing. Appreciate the response from you and cornell.

The people "after" 90/10 and the people pushing an outfitter allocation are (mostly) separate sets of people
But outfitters on the TF (and those they convince to align with them- aka landowners) believe they have leverage to kill 90/10 unless they get a guaranteed slice of the (remaining) NR pie. Thus why it’s being referred to as “the great compromise”. But that’s just BS. They don’t control the TF. 90/10 can get done without outfitter welfare despite what they’d have you believe. Those things need to remain separate, and that’s been my (R) feedback to the TF.

But outfitters on the TF (and those they convince to align with them- aka landowners) believe they have leverage to kill 90/10 unless they get a guaranteed slice of the (remaining) NR pie. Thus why it’s being referred to as “the great compromise”. But that’s just BS. They don’t control the TF. 90/10 can get done without outfitter welfare despite what they’d have you believe. Those things need to remain separate, and that’s been my (R) feedback to the TF.
I agree, I tried to approach it from a similar angle when drafting my email(s)

Back