Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wild sheep and disease

Joe Hutto’s research on Big Horn Sheep really intrigues me. I am not an expert on these situations, but Mr. Hutto’s research has been telling. Very long story short is that sheep in the Wind River Range are dying due to lack of Selenium, a critical immune system support mineral. The mineral is being leached out of the mountains by acid rain caused by climate change. Damn complex situations…

I wonder how wide spread this problem is. It killed me watching the sheep die off repeatedly up Lost Creek outside of Anaconda, Montana.

It’s hard to survive with a weakened immune system.
Do you have any peer-reviewed papers from Hutto on this topic? I just did a quick search and couldn't find any. I'd like to read them if they exist.

Do you have any peer-reviewed papers from Hutto on this topic? I just did a quick search and couldn't find any. I'd like to read them if they exist.

I don’t, I’ve read his books and watched the films. I sent the books to my Mom today, but there are extensive reference lists that may help. I should go deeper too.

Reactions: Oak
Pack goats should be allowed everywhere. The healthy big horns will be just fine. The risk of transmission is astronomically low. Survival of the fittest.
COVID transmitters should be allowed everywhere. The healthy people will be just fine. The risk of transmission is astronomically low. Survival of the fittest. DOH!!!

Quilomene bighorn sheep test positive for lethal bacteria

"WDFW wildlife biologists received reports of sick bighorn sheep near Wenatchee and collected samples to test for Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae (Movi), a bacteria that causes fatal pneumonia in bighorn sheep. Given the widespread occurrence of bluetongue in eastern Washington this year, a lamb was also tested for the presence of bluetongue virus. Both tests came back positive."

Decision puts bighorns at risk

"The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) released a proposed decision that threatens both bighorn sheep populations and Gunnison sage-grouse habitat. The project will reauthorize domestic sheep grazing in areas that overlap with bighorn herds, increasing the risk that sheep will transmit a deadly respiratory disease."

Oak, terrible news. @ the moment I am along the Taylor River, looking up @ the canyon sheep habitat. As you probably know, the sound of crickets is the usual reply when the topic of segregating domestic and wild sheep is raised @ CPW's Round Table meetings.

If I were a proponent of pack goats, I certainly wouldn’t post photos of all the close range bighorn sheep I come across on my live “2021 elk w/ pack goats” thread on a forum such as this where there is such a strong wild sheep vs. pack goats controversy. It does nothing to help the case for pack goat use in wild sheep areas.

There are so many unanswered questions. Why are the wild sheep still so susceptible to these diseases? Why aren’t they building immunities? Usually there are other factors affecting the system too. Mineral and/or vitamin deficiencies in these areas?

The politics… I hate asking, but what are the system issues? How is the system responding to experts, public opinion, financial influences? Is it responsible to take pack goats into these areas? Can you get them tested before the trip? I don’t know.

Kurt Alt has an interesting write up in this newsletter on page 4 and 9. They are going to look at a number of angles with the struggling Highland herd including nutrition and mineral deficiency. Hope they get some answers.

Attachments

• 2021-Fall-Newsletter-MTWSF-web2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
GF&P reports pneumonia outbreak among Badlands bighorn sheep

Trenton Haffley, terrestrial resource supervisor for the department, told members of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission Thursday that in August was when the first bighorn sheep tested positive for pneumonia complex, and by Oct. 7 the department confirmed 24 dead sheep. The pneumonia complex is highly contagious and lethal among the sheep, and is usually passed to the native wild animals from domestic sheep.

“At this point we’re working with Badlands National Park, but we really feel that it is kind of spread through the herd,” Haffley said. “So it’s unfortunately just a sit and wait situation.”

Trenton Haffley, terrestrial resource supervisor for the department, told members of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission Thursday that in August was when the first bighorn sheep tested positive for pneumonia complex, and by Oct. 7 the department confirmed 24 dead sheep. The pneumonia complex is highly contagious and lethal among the sheep, and is usually passed to the native wild animals from domestic sheep.

“At this point we’re working with Badlands National Park, but we really feel that it is kind of spread through the herd,” Haffley said. “So it’s unfortunately just a sit and wait situation.”
Are their any herds in the lower 48 that aren't at risk? Sure seems like we could see BHs functionally go away in my life.

Guessing the "hunter" that wrote a quarter million dollar check is a bit nervous. What if there are so few bighorns left that they decide not to walk out of a Park and feed in the wheat fields?;)

Reactions: Oak
Auction tag is valid in any unit, so he/she can always go to the Hills and shoot a 170" ram like the rest of us deplorables. The Governors pheasant habitat is gonna take a beating next year at the auction, unless she figures out a way to steal all the tag money. I'm sure someone's already working on that.

I often wonder how many checks would get cut without a tag on the line.
It happens. I've seen a few guys buy an auction tag, and immediately donate it back to be re-auctioned. Some of the guys that buy are conservationist, and unfortunately some are not.

How about you? Would you cut a check to a British Columbia outfitter if they could not provide you a tag?

My experience is that there are a LOT of checks cut. Maybe not in increments of $200k like for a tag, and not from everyone, but there is a lot of support that most never see.
We had some stats floating around from the ECWSF that broke down ticketed( prize/ hunt/tag Ect ) donations vs non ticketed donations. I found it interesting at the time and surely it was put to good use for future fundraising. Even from other life members i have been more often hearing that they felt our organization’s fundraising efforts are pricing out segments of our membership.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back