Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wild Sausage

SCliving Outdoors

My friend and I have been trying to get together here in SC to go pig hunting for a little while now. Something comes up every time we’d have plans. He has access to some property that holds a lot of pigs, but they are nomadic. They come and go from time to time based on feed and the river height. Every time he would get some pictures he would text me to see if I could go, but the wind wouldn’t be right on his end or something would be going on on my end. Last weekend I was sitting in the airport in Alaska and he texted me and asked me if I wanted to go hunting. I told him where I was and when I got back I’d love to go. He proceeded to head out that night and shoot a fantastic boar on his way to the stand. I got back into town and we made a plan to meet up and head out.

I arrived at the property and he put me up in a tripod where I could see two different corn feeders. He informed me that he’d gotten pictures of a group of five pigs coming out to one of the feeders. I’d only been in the stand for bout 20 minutes or so when I looked at one of the feeders that had some brush growing in front of it and saw something dark in color. It wasn’t moving, so I paid no attention to it. I thought there must be a barrel down there laying on the ground or something. I looked back about five minutes later, and it was in a completely different location. Game on! I was pretty sure it was a pig and a few minutes later it moved a little and I could see his tail swishing back and forth as he fed. Over the next 10 minutes I watched it move back-and-forth but I didn’t have a shot. The pig was relaxed because the wind was good and I had plenty of light so there was no rush. Finally he moved into an opening and I killed him at about 150 yards. I could tell it was a good pig but I didn’t know quite how good it was until we got down there a little after dark. It was a great boar. He had a lot of fat on him, which is rare for South Carolina, but is probably due to the fact that it hasn’t gotten hot yet this summer.

I’m was really happy to knock one down. My wife and I really like wild pork and I hadn’t shot a pig in 5+ years. This one’s going to become onion sausage. My stomach is growling just thinking about it.

IMG_6767.jpegIMG_6761.jpegIMG_6780.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back