Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wild Pigs??

Titan_Bow

I was just looking at OnXMaps and notice a bit of public land at the TX/NM border along the Pecos River. Anyone know if there's much in the way of wild hogs down there?

I've heard of people seeing and killing them there, but I dont know of a single person that has actually killed one. I would compare it to Tahr on Mt Taylor, but i know someone that has actually killed one up there.

Was down there in February and again 2 weeks ago. Didn't spend too much time on the Pecos proper, but brushy washes west of Carlsbad. Weren't looking for pigs, but didn't see any sign. There's a lot of habitat, and a lot of it's BLM. Must be pretty low densities. I'd like to try for one some day though.

I have never seen a pig on the Pecos. Lot of sign. Lot of mesquite cover.

They are there, but they are not seen. Some of the farmers might have a clue. They are nocturnal.

Better than that, there are elk on the Pecos. Again nocturnal. Feed on the crops at night.

If you know a farmer on the river, you might have a chance to hunt them.

I have heard of a guy shooting a pig on the river, but have never seen a dead pig.

I live in Roswell.

I have seen pigs from the road east of Carlsbad close to the Texas border.

Lots of country, would be hard to hunt without local help.

Last edited:
As said They say they are here,I've never seen one off private land. Never really even seen pics pigs of in trucks etc., besides few private.
I've seen a few of them on ranches on the Pecos & Rio Grande....again never seen many pics besides G&F of a dead one.....with one exception, guy I know & he is quiet about it..........too quiet...lol
Seen more elk & sign than pigs in that desert country along the rivers. Not even enough quail sign to bother.
Think they are as common in NM as Thar as stated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back