Wild Pigs??

Titan_Bow

I was just looking at OnXMaps and notice a bit of public land at the TX/NM border along the Pecos River. Anyone know if there's much in the way of wild hogs down there?

I've heard of people seeing and killing them there, but I dont know of a single person that has actually killed one. I would compare it to Tahr on Mt Taylor, but i know someone that has actually killed one up there.

Was down there in February and again 2 weeks ago. Didn't spend too much time on the Pecos proper, but brushy washes west of Carlsbad. Weren't looking for pigs, but didn't see any sign. There's a lot of habitat, and a lot of it's BLM. Must be pretty low densities. I'd like to try for one some day though.

I have never seen a pig on the Pecos. Lot of sign. Lot of mesquite cover.

They are there, but they are not seen. Some of the farmers might have a clue. They are nocturnal.

Better than that, there are elk on the Pecos. Again nocturnal. Feed on the crops at night.

If you know a farmer on the river, you might have a chance to hunt them.

I have heard of a guy shooting a pig on the river, but have never seen a dead pig.

I live in Roswell.

I have seen pigs from the road east of Carlsbad close to the Texas border.

Lots of country, would be hard to hunt without local help.

Last edited:
As said They say they are here,I've never seen one off private land. Never really even seen pics pigs of in trucks etc., besides few private.
I've seen a few of them on ranches on the Pecos & Rio Grande....again never seen many pics besides G&F of a dead one.....with one exception, guy I know & he is quiet about it..........too quiet...lol
Seen more elk & sign than pigs in that desert country along the rivers. Not even enough quail sign to bother.
Think they are as common in NM as Thar as stated.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back