Wild Pig Organs

lastlight

Hey guys/gals,

I got a nice young wild boar and saved the organs to try. I know the heart is just a muscle and to cook all the way like the rest of the meat. I can't find anything online that says NOT to eat wild pig liver, one article a guy claimed he liked it better than venison and beef liver.

The liver looks great and I plan on cooking rare/medium rare just like venison liver because I dont think parasites pigs can carry are found in the liver. What are your thoughts?

i'd see no issue eating the organs

but i'd still be hesitant to eat any part of wild pig undercooked

maybe someone who knows more pig biology will have the answer though

Yea I would tend to agree but would rather not eat well done liver if I don’t have to. I can’t find anything on if trichinosis can be found in liver.

Like the others, done right wild hogs are delish but I’d avoid too rare on the liver or any cut fir that matter. From one of my old game cooking books:

Wild hogs can transmit diseases, bacterial and viral, to other animals and humans. There are over 24 diseases that humans can contract from the wild hogs. In addition, the wild pigs carry more than 45 different parasites, both internal and external. This should not scare you as they are not dangerous infections. The most significant zoonotic diseases include brucellosis, E. coli, Rabies, Salmonellosis among others. Most of these diseases attack people if they handle infected or eat undercooked meat from the wild hogs. Also, the diseases are transmitted indirectly through contaminated water sources and ticks.

Use the correct methods of refrigeration, freezing and cooking meat from the wild hog. Temperatures below 0oF will only freeze the meat and render the bacteria and parasites inactive without destroying them. They become active again when the meat is thawed. However, cooking thoroughly at internal temperatures of 165oF to 170oF will kill all parasites and bacteria in the hog’s meat.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back