WI Grouse Camp 2023

Another good day. Finally killed a grouse. Also limited out on woodcock. We got into them thick in the last covert we hit. And even helped an old local couple out road hunting for grouse change a flat tire.

Final numbers for the day for my hunting partner and I. We should have killed a few more grouse but the shooting is never easy. We hunted some tight nasty covers. Woodcock held much tighter today.

Grouse flushed 24
Shot at 9
Killed 3

Woodcock flushed 20
Shot at 15
Killed 6

On a side note, I’m surprised how many drumming birds we’ve heard. Heard 4 yesterday and another two today.FFF37D1E-7D0C-4E93-A041-0868976D31CF.jpeg

The visla we’ve been hunting over.

1E8A6CD4-E753-4BF0-AD53-84B551F94C9A.jpeg

Attachments

• A94950E0-90FD-4706-8C2F-2438E7D39112.jpeg
    A94950E0-90FD-4706-8C2F-2438E7D39112.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 4
A tough day in the woods. We moved some birds but didn’t see many of the flushes we had. We also ran into a bunch of other hunters. There were already trucks parked at 3 separate covers we wanted to hunt which made for a frustrating morning. We saw license plates from Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Illinois and Ohio. This was on county land in Ashland and Iron Counties. But I managed to kill a beautiful gray phase grouse and a pair of woodcock.07D23820-EA1D-4BB0-A1DE-3A9565E30B67.jpeg
We got into some shotgun technicana this evening measuring bore constriction, length of pull, drop at comb, and chamber length on a few guns including mine.
CE6B6E5A-9EB2-45D9-9C8E-D751EA69D070.jpeg
And the tools of the trade for all things shotgun technicana:
D6585EF8-4F02-4EDD-A35C-8FBF5C99363D.jpeg

And a pair of webley and Scott’s in 16 and 20 gauge:
269F45F8-6D8D-433F-AA89-6EA72B9B5E47.jpeg

Final numbers for the day for my hunting partner and I:

Grouse flushed 17
Shot at 4
Killed 1

Woodcock flushed: 4
Shot at 3
Killed 2

Another tough day. We moved birds but didn’t see most of the birds we flushed. I managed to kill a snowshoe hare that ran down the trail but that was the only blood in camp for the day. Some of the guys fished in the afternoon and slayed the crappies.

Final numbers for my hunting partner and I were:

Grouse flushed 18
Shot at 4
Killed 0

WC flushed 1
Shot at 0
Killed 0

Crappie fillets:

71258088-F3D6-4907-9355-7DB8007947E7.jpeg

Grouse camp has to have a bar:

61B1A828-83C7-4E16-A614-B36F74D920F8.jpegThe anglers and their catch:
DE893F4E-ADA7-4137-A6E9-6DBC0848E3B4.jpeg

Most excellent. Looks like a grand time!

How have the ticks been? They're out of control on this side of the lake.

I picked 5 off of myself on Sunday

Picked about 4 dozen off of the dogs from last Thursday. A dozen off of the black dog a couple days ago from a morning hunt.

No frost & still warm. The boss is making it known that she doesn't appreciate the number of ticks I'm bringing home. The dogs and I are willing to withstand the barrage of mad wife.

Picked about 4 dozen off of the dogs from last Thursday. A dozen off of the black dog a couple days ago from a morning hunt.

No frost & still warm. The boss is making it known that she doesn't appreciate the number of ticks I'm bringing home. The dogs and I are willing to withstand the barrage of mad wife.
My dog had a few in him, but nothing like yours

Another tough day. We moved birds but didn’t see most of the birds we flushed. I managed to kill a snowshoe hare that ran down the trail but that was the only blood in camp for the day. Some of the guys fished in the afternoon and slayed the crappies.

Final numbers for my hunting partner and I were:

Grouse flushed 18
Shot at 4
Killed 0

WC flushed 1
Shot at 0
Killed 0

Crappie fillets:

View attachment 297566

Grouse camp has to have a bar:

View attachment 297567The anglers and their catch:
View attachment 297568
I always enjoy a good Delta Force fishing picture.

Looks like a lot of fun.

A tough day in the woods. We moved some birds but didn’t see many of the flushes we had. We also ran into a bunch of other hunters. There were already trucks parked at 3 separate covers we wanted to hunt which made for a frustrating morning. We saw license plates from Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Illinois and Ohio. This was on county land in Ashland and Iron Counties. But I managed to kill a beautiful gray phase grouse and a pair of woodcock.View attachment 297402
We got into some shotgun technicana this evening measuring bore constriction, length of pull, drop at comb, and chamber length on a few guns including mine.
View attachment 297403
And the tools of the trade for all things shotgun technicana:
View attachment 297404

And a pair of webley and Scott’s in 16 and 20 gauge:
View attachment 297405

Final numbers for the day for my hunting partner and I:

Grouse flushed 17
Shot at 4
Killed 1

Woodcock flushed: 4
Shot at 3
Killed 2
Happy to see that you were able to experience a classic October grouse hunt in northern Wisconsin. It has been a minute since I last enjoyed a grouse camp like this. Good stuff!

Most excellent. Looks like a grand time!

How have the ticks been? They're out of control on this side of the lake.
Much worse than the past years. I’d guess because no hard frost yet. We are pulling multiple ticks off each dog after every covert and a few off of us at the end of the day.

Having friends that are willing to check you for ticks in camp -or anywhere really - is a rare thing.

Glad you guys are into them!

Much worse than the past years. I’d guess because no hard frost yet. We are pulling multiple ticks off each dog after every covert and a few off of us at the end of the day.
Minutes after I wrote this, I found a tick embedded on my inner thigh. Had to remove him with a pair of tweezers and now I have a nasty welt on my thigh. Horrible things.

Having friends that are willing to check you for ticks in camp -or anywhere really - is a rare thing.

Glad you guys are into them!
My hunting partners don’t do as good a job as the wife with the nightly tick checks, but that is to be expected!

Minutes after I wrote this, I found a tick embedded on my inner thigh. Had to remove him with a pair of tweezers and now I have a nasty welt on my thigh. Horrible things.

Permithrim spray for the clothes, Picardin lotion for the body. Works great!

Back