Why the change in some MT cow tags?

Dieseldog

I have been applying for a cow tag in 622 for the last few years. It has always been due June 1. Why the change in some units to apply for a cow tag at the March 15th deadline?

Cuz it's now a permit . Not a b tag . So if u want that tag u have to make it your first choice as a permit I believe

Actually I don't think it has to be your first choice . But I dunno if that tag usually is high draw ?

Great topic for those that may be unsure about some of the regs. Anyone that is not familiar with the structure and is preparing to purchase an elk combination or big game combo, be sure to read the PERMIT details for each HD that you are attempting to apply. Keep in mind, there are quite a few Elk permits that are for a anterless elk, most of these Permits do not allow you to hunt for a bull in that HD with said permit in hand. I hope this helps someone! Can be very confusing. The elk B deadline is June 1st, that allows for a cow tag in a specific HD on top of your General Elk license.

So if you want a cow tag in one of those units you no longer have an A tag for a general area?

So if you want a cow tag in one of those units you no longer have an A tag for a general area?
If you draw a cow PERMIT in one of those hunting districts then you cannot take a bull elk in that particular HD. You still have the option of hunting bull elk on your general A tag in another HD.

The full regulations are available on the FWP website. Page 70 shows a full complement of elk B licenses available for 622.

Anyone know why they have two different draw deadlines, other than a racket to get you to pay the application fee twice?

I don’t know why you can’t just get it done in one whack.

Also helpful to note:

Permit: enhances a tag/license. It is not an extra or separate tag/license.

License/tag: Permission to harvest animal that is listed on the license only.

A License: General license, good for whole state unless hunting district has restrictions.

B License: Good only for specific time, place, species AND sex listed on the license.

So can anyone elaborate as to why I would want to apply for a 622 cow tag in the March draw over applying for a B tag in May?

So can anyone elaborate as to why I would want to apply for a 622 cow tag in the March draw over applying for a B tag in May?

No, because you wouldn't be applying for a "cow tag" in the March deadline. It's for elk and deer permits only. Permits and licenses are different, as 406LIFE noted.

The only "622" cow tag you can apply for in march is code 698-00. Which is valid only off the cmr and in units 620, 621, 622, 630, 631, and 632. In May you will be able to apply for a regular 622 B tag. Or a late season tag just like the 698-00 which includes the previously stated units. The one in march is very easy to draw, in fact my wife has got it on 2nd choice which is pretty common. If you were to get the 698 tag, you could still turn around and get a B tag as well. Allowing you to shoot 2 cows.

So if by chance a guy drew a 698-00 Permit as your 2nd choice you still keep your points correct?

Found what I was looking for on the 2nd choice. Looks like you keep your points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back