Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why no elk on the Gallatin crest?

Nunyacreek

I spent the weekend with a friend goat hunting in the Gallatins. It had snowed four days before and in the 6 or so miles north of Eaglehead mountain there were a few deer tracks, a black bear, a grizzly and exactly zero elk tracks. It is beautiful country, a grassy plateau, big bowls, plenty of cover, easy access to winter range...yet I saw no old rubs, no droppings, nothing. Any idea why not?

I spent the weekend with a friend goat hunting in the Gallatins. It had snowed four days before and in the 6 or so miles north of Eaglehead mountain there were a few deer tracks, a black bear, a grizzly and exactly zero elk tracks. It is beautiful country, a grassy plateau, big bowls, plenty of cover, easy access to winter range...yet I saw no old rubs, no droppings, nothing. Any idea why not?

Obama.

Thank you! I have been trying to show people that he is ruining everything! Can't even go out and find an elk in this god-forsaken country anymore...

But seriously, don't know much about the area, so not much help!

I think there are several factors. More hunters, more predators, and a general downward cycle in that area of the Gallains.

We called in 3 different bulls before 9am in about the exact same area...

Just one of them days for you...

Fair enough, I didn't look very hard, I was just surprised. Well the good news is that if that's your favorite secret spot I did you all a favor, and it just goes to show a little persistence and familiarity with an area might go a long way. Thanks for the responses.

Elk hunting in a strange way is a lot like walleye fishing , I know I know , strange comparison .... But, sometimes I can be hammering walleyes and then talk to some one at our resort that fished pretty much same area and could buy a fish , and some days it's me that can't find them .... My point is until you know the lake or hunt area real good you might struggle some days but hang in there patience pays off !

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back