Why is it so complicated?

Yep...and the price of your truck doesn't have a thing to do with having a valid, aka, whiney, opinion.

I didn't think I was whining. I was just stating the facts about the process in response to a question. The money for the budget has to come from somewhere, they have just invented different ways to get it. Selling "points" is really an ingenious method I think. Same with the special vs. regular draw.

As far as the price of my truck goes, at the peak of application season I will have more money outstanding on big game applications than my truck is worth I can tell you that!

And I'm not even mentioning lowering the NR tag. Just increasing the Res tags at the same rate. When they increase NR $20, increase Res $20. That will put a lot more money in the pot. As most residents say, "You have to pay to play. "

FYI, publuchunter1, Here in CO - NR tags are tied by statute to the CPI and increase accordingly on an annual basis (rounded to the nearest $5 increment). I completely agree we are (over)due for a Resident fee increase, but for now, that statute, not any separate action by CPW is what results in the annual NR increases (which have varied from 1.5% to 2.5% the last 3 years).

I do know Randy would like to get some more HTers on film here so maybe next year a couple guys can put their heads together. Still time before deadline this yr.

When I draw the Caldera or VV tag down your way this year, I'll take anyone who wants to go along :)

cedahm,

I wasn't sure how they based it. I have only payed attention to it for the last three years (spent two years saving and preparing for the hunt I did this year) and it was going up about $20 a year. That is interesting how that is set up. Thanks for the info.

Don't know why they don't do something like that for the resident fees.

I didn't think I was whining. I was just stating the facts about the process in response to a question. The money for the budget has to come from somewhere, they have just invented different ways to get it. Selling "points" is really an ingenious method I think. Same with the special vs. regular draw.

As far as the price of my truck goes, at the peak of application season I will have more money outstanding on big game applications than my truck is worth I can tell you that!

No Nathan, you misread my intent which agrees with your synopsis. I could have phrased better....not 'your' truck...any truck.

What a bunch of whiners!

This is what I was referring to.

No Nathan, you misread my intent which agrees with your synopsis. I could have phrased better....not 'your' truck...any truck.

This is what I was referring to.

LOL. I just didn't want to be lumped in with Zim!! :cool:

Cause I am whining on my other thread about Wyoming being slow to post results this year!! :)

I did find the tag system complicated, and western hunts are expensive, but I learnt and then travel from New Zealand :) I work over time to pay for my trips and worth every kiwi cent!

Last edited:
I guess I would first like to reply to Topgun for the amazing insult. This used to be a website fore the average guy but is now being run by bullies like yourself. I never mentioned one word about money. I was asking about the draw system and how tags are issued. Mainly the complexity of the video posted by Randy. Thank you all for taking a moment to make me feel like a POS. By the way. Maybe I just buried my wife and an a single father of two who drives a 12 year old pickup. You never asked though. You just jumped on my back and beat me down. This is my last post and I apologize for taking up everyone's time.

I guess I would first like to reply to Topgun for the amazing insult. This used to be a website fore the average guy but is now being run by bullies like yourself. I never mentioned one word about money. I was asking about the draw system and how tags are issued. Mainly the complexity of the video posted by Randy. Thank you all for taking a moment to make me feel like a POS. By the way. Maybe I just buried my wife and an a single father of two who drives a 12 year old pickup. You never asked though. You just jumped on my back and beat me down. This is my last post and I apologize for taking up everyone's time.

I think you just asked the question wrong.

Its best to be specific about what parts of the draw you find confusing. I don't think anyone has a good grasp on draw odds, they change a bunch from year to year.

IMO/E I find most of the actual draw systems fairly straight forward, applying usually is not a problem.

As to trying to decipher draw odds, that is more difficult in Wyoming with the 2 different tag prices (regular and special), as well as how your preference points help you.

If I were you, I wouldn't throw my sucker in the dirt and stomp off...maybe just be a bit more specific in what you find challenging about the draw process. If you have questions about Wyoming...send me a PM, I can probably help you out.

81hntn

Don't take it so hard. If you'll look some of us agreed with you to a certain extent. Randy's videos about the draw systems in each state help out a lot as far as how each states draw system works. However draw odds are not an easy task due to point creep. Toprut or gohunt are you two best options for that I have found for that. Some of us were complaining about the NR fees that got some of the other guys responses. There are still some great guys on here so I wouldn't lump everybody on here into one pot and run away

Hope this helps in some way. God bless and happy hunting.

Being new to hunting in Colorado it definitely feels complicated to me. I started hunting Oklahoma where you can hunt the entire state (private or public) if you have: 1. Hunting license and 2. Tag for the animal and method of take. (with an archery tag you can hunt every day from October 1st through January 15th).
It has really been a challenge trying to narrow down the unit that I want to hunt but that fact is made easier with the high percentage of public access with in GMU with good habitat. However, you still have to try and figure out where you can go that is going to be away from enough pressure to give yourself opportunities (more so elk than deer).
From my understanding of much of the reason for the complicated GMU and limited draw operations focuses on conservation efforts. GMU’s are the most effective way to selectively monitor and manage wildlife populations. The state can manage hunting pressure to align with management goals to keep populations at a healthy and sustainable number. An example might be that you had bad winter kill in a particular unit. Depending on the severity, the mangers could make decisions that would impact a single unit and not the entire state.
I wish we live in days with an unlimited number of animals and no fences and no GMU’s but that isn’t the case. So I suppose that I will just have to be grateful to get a chance at elk every year. Oklahoma is still once in a lifetime for the tag, even if you don’t get one you only have one shot.

Hope I didn't just take what I did not understand clearly as a slight against you.I am old & scrumudgety hermit.
I for one gave up on understanding how to apply in states I have drawn before.
Randy's video on the draw process in NM is pretty much spot on gospel for a NR hunter these days. I have watched some others,but like I said I gave up on them.

Didn't mean to demean or put a price on anyones anything,cept maybe priorities. As OP said you didn't state your circumstances.

Where there's a will there's a way

This is very true.
I can't afford to apply out of state right now so I make the best of my own state. I also can't afford a shiny new $60k 4X4 so I make do with what I have right now.
My wife and I watch every penny but we always have enough for hunting trips and vacations, we have our priorities.

81hntn, probably the reason why Topgun replied like that is because he hasn't purchased a MT combo or WY Special Elk in a long time and took up knitting.

If you have any draw questions, shoot me a PM and ill help with you with what I know.

I've bought Wyoming points the past two years and plan on buying another this year. Also buy the raffles, which I consider it a donation. Hunted OTC Colorado 2014. I'm hunting New Mexico 2017, Montana combo 2018 and Wyoming, Good Lord willing, in 2019. My son and I have made a deal to try and hunt a different western state every year I can. But who knows, i may fall in love with just one state.

Sorry for my reply if you felt it was meant to be an insult! We all have problems to deal with. My wife got sick a few days ago and out of the blue it was the worst form of brain cancer known and they've given her 4-6 WEEKS to live. She's already in Hospice and I was just trying to get my mind off that for a few minutes and I sincerely apologize if it came off offending you!

I have been reading through some of the recent posts about the Wyoming elk draw and I just don't understand why the states have gone to such a complicated draw system. I've seen several post their hestitance for western hunting due to the jacked up systems and I'm starting to agree. I thought I had a good grasp on Wyoming but I guess I was wrong after watching the video about draw odds that Randy posted. I guess I'm just frustrated and confused about the western draw systems and really just don't understand what the states have to gain???

100% correct. There is an entire industry to help people figure out the application maze; TAGs, goHunt, HuntinFool. Fortunately Randy gives free advise and there are good people willing to help. If you and a few friends can make the roadtrip down to Nashville for RMEF convention this week chatting with the state F&G folks in person is very helpful.

If it is so complicated then why are there thousands upon thousands of people who apply for every tag who are abe to decifer the proccess with no problem?
Then again I don't understand quantum physics but a lot of people do.

Last edited:
Sorry for my reply if you felt it was meant to be an insult! We all have problems to deal with. My wife got sick a few days ago and out of the blue it was the worst form of brain cancer known and they've given her 4-6 WEEKS to live. She's already in Hospice and I was just trying to get my mind off that for a few minutes and I sincerely apologize if it came off offending you!

Very sorry to hear Topgun. I know how much I love my wife and couldn't imagine how hard that would be. Will definitely be lifting y'all up in prayer! Please let me know if there is anything y'all need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back