Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Why don't all scope have internal anti cant bubbles?

Springfield Armory used to make optics, and some of their models had a bubble level in the bottom of the reticle. Seemed like a good idea to me. I’ve used one but never owned one to give any opinion on durability.

There are plenty of level options on the market that weigh next to nothing and cost $30-$50.
My dad has had one of those Springfield Armory scopes with an internal level for a long time on a coyote AR. He likes it and has never had a problem with it.

Springfield Armory used to make optics, and some of their models had a bubble level in the bottom of the reticle. Seemed like a good idea to me. I’ve used one but never owned one to give any opinion on durability.

There are plenty of level options on the market that weigh next to nothing and cost $30-$50.
I am reminded of the old 1960s black and white TV after hours test pattern. Lots of "busy" on the screen. Always wondered what was the purpose. Testing for what?

Exactly my thoughts on this.
Scenario,
Let's say you shoot a 1 MOA rifle at a deer ranged 400yd. You also shoot. 4" left as shooter's error due to poor shooting position.
Now if you add 4" of error due to a canted rifle you are now chancing everything lining up the wrong way and you are now 12" from point of aim. But with equally bad luck in the other direction you could also shoot 12" right of center.
Potentially a 20"+ group depending on luck. Now add a couple inches for a slight breeze.

It seems like eliminating a variable has no down sides.
To answer the original question there has to be some logical or demand reasons.
So why take the shot at that distance if in "poor shooting position"? Is that ethical? If you don't know how much to add for slight breeze at that distance and with your caliber, should you be taking the shot? Most of us won't if there's that many unknown variables. Just using a bubble to eliminate one for 4" won't make enough difference. Might let the shooter fool himself into thinking it will make enough difference and give him an excuse to take a shot he shouldn't attempt.

For shooting very long distances at targets that don't really matter (i.e paper or varmints) I could maybe see some slight utility in a scope/gun level. The gun is typically on a bipod or some kind of sturdy support. The shooter has the time and stability to make use of a level. It might be a nice addition to a suitcase of other specialty tech items for very long shots.

I have found that to be true. I have had better consistency aligning my vertical crosshair to a distant string hung with a plumb bob. Overkill? Maybe. Just trying to eliminate as many things I can control.
Now that is a good idea! Once the scope is near level or level you can see an unlevel one by looking at the horizontal cross wire! Take your rifle right now and look through the scope, level or not and if the horizontal wire appears canted all you need to do to straighten it up is twist the rifle one way or the other, you might be canting it!

My right front tire was 7 lbs low so it threw me off 4 degrees then forgot to factor in my wallet under my left butt cheek and it all went to hell.

I shoot lots of chukars running on the ground all the time so I'm fine. Sometimes pheasants too but never doves - that's not sporting.

So why take the shot at that distance if in "poor shooting position"? Is that ethical? If you don't know how much to add for slight breeze at that distance and with your caliber, should you be taking the shot? Most of us won't if there's that many unknown variables. Just using a bubble to eliminate one for 4" won't make enough difference. Might let the shooter fool himself into thinking it will make enough difference and give him an excuse to take a shot he shouldn't attempt.
Thats like saying that you should NEVER take off hand shots because you are not benchrest steady.
Regardless of distance there will be variables you just need the margin of error to fall within the vitals.
The point is that if I eliminate a variable I can adjust my personal effective range accordingly.

All of my negative experiences have been with a bow where this definitely matters.

I just use Hawkins rings now with the built in level. 😁

Level crosshairs are much more important when dialing a scope also. For normal hunting situations most hunters won’t even notice the effects of a slight cant.

I just use Hawkins rings now with the built in level. 😁

Level crosshairs are much more important when dialing a scope also. For normal hunting situations most hunters won’t even notice the effects of a slight cant.
Had a guy show me his new "rig" last year. A new Savage with an off brand scope. He raised it to his shoulder and held it angled off his shoulder,like the GI's do in the movies. He handed it to me and the scope was set 45 degrees off level.
I just said nice and handed it back,good luck

I have a stigmatism in my dominant eye. Screws with golf putting. Screws with my scope installation and use in the field. I got the scope true to the horizon as installed on my rifle. I attached a bubble level to the scope. I trained my eye to "know" level so after a few times hunting with the rifle I was squaring up things pre-shot before checked the bubble. For me, my accuracy beyond 250 yards at the range greatly improved so I expanded my shooting range in the field, too. I also bought a used custom rifle later on that is a tack driver which improved accuracy as well. I shoot off-the-shelf loads so with custom loads would have even better accuracy. 400 yards is plenty for me, though.

is it really not an issue at 350 yards?

Let's say I have the personal ability to shoot a 6" group at 350. Add some potential error for a hold over (1-2"), maybe a slight cross wind (1-2"), what's the error with a 2 deg off cant? I honestly don't know, but it feels like it's more than either of those other two.
If you're gonna shoot at game 350 yards you should have already practiced at that range. You would know if it was going to be an issue.
Also if you have to hold over at that range you're shooting too far with that particular rifle.

If you're gonna shoot at game 350 yards you should have already practiced at that range. You would know if it was going to be an issue.
Also if you have to hold over at that range you're shooting too far with that particular rifle.
1. The range and the field are different.
2. If you sight in at 100 yards, you'll want to hold over, I don't care what laser beam you're shooting.

Back