Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Why doesn't everyone just get the General Tag???

gwhunter

So, I may have some things messed up or just might be uninformed on this topic, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone who is hunting elk in Wyoming just wouldn't get the general tag.

Here is the scenario I'm painting for myself. 2+ years ago when I started to plan to start hunting out west I was given advice and logically decided, "hey, maybe I should start putting in for points to hunt elk". In talking to my hunting partner (father), he thought since we had no clue what we were doing to hunt elk why not get a tag for a pronghorn because they are cheaper and from the limited advice we got from other Michigan flatlanders, pronghorn was a much easier proposition for a first time diy hunt out west. Plus we would use the trip as a scouting trip to figure out the ins and outs of elk hunting, traveling out west, what we needed, finding which zone to apply for, etc. to make sure we had a chance at a more successful elk hunt in the future.

With the education about the ins and outs of Wyoming pronghorn hunting and learning that all of the units were limited entry I therefore blindly assumed all of the elk units were limited entry and there was no such thing as a general tag for elk (further reinforcing the assumption stereotype). I just recently realized through responses from a post here, and the subsequent trip to the WYG&F website, that there are indeed general tags for elk in Wyoming. Additionally while out hunting pronghorn this year (write up to come) we talked to lots of people and stopped into the G&F and got lots of recommendations for specific units and optimal times to hunt those units. Everyone in Wy was so helpful with us first time elk and pronghorn hunters.

Now here comes where I may be still confused: It roughly takes 2 points to draw a general tag. 2/3 of the applicants with one point got them but I'm looking for the sure thing. There are 46 hunt zones available for the general tag that are listed without the G&F asterisk indicating limited public ground. Some of those zones being ones that were recommended to us by G&F and other locals when we were staying in Pinedale scouting for elk for a future hunt. Why wouldn't I want to be able to hunt a bunch more zones and get access with a lot less points than applying for only 1 zone and being limited to only that zone.

Are there very limited elk in those 46 zones? Is it only because of people wanting to get the "big one" or hunt a very special place that they will buy points for a premium zone (e.g. zone 100)? Me I'd prefer to just go hunting and get a chance at an elk regardless of size of antlers or sex and my father would be fine shooting cows every year. Am I the minority or just still confused? I want to just take my 2 points and go next year but for some reason I'm having doubts because there are 3054 people with 8 points. Why would I need to keep getting points instead of just going hunting?

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited:
I don't think there's a one sized fits all answer. Personally, I don't see ever buying a general tag in WY. My logic is as follows:

- I generally put in for the draw/points in WY, CO, AZ, and NV. My plan is to keep racking up points until I can start using them for the units that I want, but generally trophy areas that require a lot of points.
- I generally hunt NM every year, via either the draw or by buying landowner tags.
- I can also buy OTC tags in CO, ID, and MT and have some good hunts every year.

This year I'm hunting NM (on a landowner tag) and CO (OTC) for elk. I'm just going to keep racking up points in the other states until I want to use them. No reason to buy a general tag in WY. You'll also find that for a lot of people, once you have a handful of points (say, more than five) it's a tough choice to burn them on a unit that requires only a few points, and given the other hunting opportunities, it makes sense to some to just keep racking up the points. All depends on what, where, and when you want to hunt, and for me it's part of a bigger strategy.

I don't think there's a one sized fits all answer. Personally, I don't see ever buying a general tag in WY. My logic is as follows:

- I generally put in for the draw/points in WY, CO, AZ, and NV. My plan is to keep racking up points until I can start using them for the units that I want, but generally trophy areas that require a lot of points.
- I generally hunt NM every year, via either the draw or by buying landowner tags.
- I can also buy OTC tags in CO, ID, and MT and have some good hunts every year.

This year I'm hunting NM (on a landowner tag) and CO (OTC) for elk. I'm just going to keep racking up points in the other states until I want to use them. No reason to buy a general tag in WY. You'll also find that for a lot of people, once you have a handful of points (say, more than five) it's a tough choice to burn them on a unit that requires only a few points, and given the other hunting opportunities, it makes sense to some to just keep racking up the points. All depends on what, where, and when you want to hunt, and for me it's part of a bigger strategy.

This ^^^.

If you only plan on hunting WY for Elk every other year then I would highly recommend hunting a general unit and hunt that specific unit religiously year in and year out. Cover as much ground and spend as much time in it as you can. There are good bulls and plenty of elk in all of them but finding a unit and sticking to it for years gives you even more of an advantage. Learning a unit and where to find elk each year will create some very fun and memorable hunts for you and your family for many years. Good Luck

My plan is to keep racking up points until I can start using them for the units that I want, but generally trophy areas that require a lot of points.

But what if I don't know the units that I want? Like you, I live a 2 day drive from elk hunting. This was my first year in Wyoming and I actually bought a leftover cow tag just to up the anty while on this scouting trip. Long story short, I learned all the things not to do to find elk but still didn't find out what to do (Didn't even see one). I would be all about saving my points to try to find the unobtainable "low pressure, high numbers, easy access zone" but I don't know quality elk zones from my own...

I guess what I'm asking for is should I just go to a less desirable/more difficult zone with the general tag so I can get my feet wet or save up my points?

(Correction from last post, as of this fall I have 3 points)

Couldn't tell you the first thing about hunting Wyoming, but I know a thing or two about Idaho. If you want to go hunting then there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying an OTC tag. Sure, a drawn tag could get you some better dates, a rifle instead of archery tackle, and a bit less competition, but on the other hand it could take you a few years to pull the tag. I guess it boils down to whether you want to sit home watching reruns of Fresh Tracks while waiting for some "premiums," or a settling for "slumming it" with general tag and a guarantee of getting out.

Lot of guys would rather have another point, in hopes of drawing a unit that takes a pile of points instead of flushing their points down the toilet on an EVEN BETTER hunt that takes 0 or 1 points....

I'll have 9 Wyoming elk points next year. :D

Lot of guys would rather have another point, in hopes of drawing a unit that takes a pile of points instead of flushing their points down the toilet on an EVEN BETTER hunt that takes 0 or 1 points....

Having a hard time determining where the sarcasm is there and I'm also assuming from the shhhhh that this is something that has been discussed before and has very strong opinions on both sides, no? :D

Do yourself a favor and subscribe to Huntin' Fool. As a member, you can request a list of names/phone # contact for some members who have hunted the area you now have drawn a tag. Since you probably will not be a able to scout prior to your hunt, the info you get from prior hunters will help focus in on a couple of areas that match up with your hunting style (i.e. bivvy vs. trailhead tent vs hotel and any legal critter vs. trophy hunt).

I have drawn around 2 dozen tags the past decade that were for hunts far from home that I would likely never ever draw again so I needed to get up the learning curve in one shot rather than a series of years.

The contact list helped me. I ordered a unit map for the tag I had, started dialing and listened. Made notes. Had a Plan A, B and C in place for where to camp, hunt, etc. before ever stepped into the unit.

The tougher the tag is to draw, the more prior hunters will share info so for a tag that you could get more than once a decade you may find the advice a bit less useful but even getting answers to "cell phone coverage" and "good place to camp" and "anyone who will help pack out an elk with horses" answers will save you time and effort as step into the unit.

I resemble that remark with deer in WY.

Here is my thought when I went to WY last year. I applied for and drew a general tag. I wanted to do a DIY elk hunt on public ground. I had a TON of areas to hunt. I really didn't care about shooting a monster (Yes, I would have if he stepped out) but I just wanted to hunt elk. Someday I hope to shoot a big bull, but I am totally satisfied with more areas to hunt and a better chance to harvest any elk. If I am going to pay the out of state prices, I wanted to increase my odds as much as I could. I did that with getting a general tag and having contacts across the state of WY. As it turned out, I didn't need much advice, as I was able to harvest a nice, representative bull in the second area I hunted.

The main negative with the general tag is that you can't go into the wilderness areas in quite a few units. A fair number of limited entry units also have lots of wilderness too though so a guy can argue that both ways.

I'll have 6 points going into next year's draw and pretty much have the same thoughts that you do. Once I burn my points, I'll just plan on hunting the general tag after that. And it'll be the same for deer.

But what if I don't know the units that I want? Like you, I live a 2 day drive from elk hunting. This was my first year in Wyoming and I actually bought a leftover cow tag just to up the anty while on this scouting trip. Long story short, I learned all the things not to do to find elk but still didn't find out what to do (Didn't even see one). I would be all about saving my points to try to find the unobtainable "low pressure, high numbers, easy access zone" but I don't know quality elk zones from my own...

I guess what I'm asking for is should I just go to a less desirable/more difficult zone with the general tag so I can get my feet wet or save up my points?

(Correction from last post, as of this fall I have 3 points)

If the choice is not hunt at all vs. hunt on a general tag, give me hunt on a general tag any day. My strategy is slightly different in that I'm sort of having my cake and eating it too. I've hunted the same unit DIY in NM the past two years and it's amazing how much more I learned the second year. Still haven't punched my tag but went from seeing elk on occasion to seeing them consistently and getting a much better idea of their movements. That came from hunting the same unit more than once.

I view my points in WY, NV, CO, and AZ as more once or twice in a lifetime type hunts. Considering I'm doing the same for deer (and moose and sheep but not holding my breath), I feel like I'll have the ability to hunt a unit I know very well AND hunt some limited areas every few years. If I could only do one state though and plan to hunt that year in year out, no way would I be building points.

I take care of the whole problem and buy left-over cow tags every year. No issues with throwing money away on points and just as good of a hunt.

Back