Why Cerakote a stainles rifle?

As others have mentioned, I also like the low glare factor. However, FYI, my recent experience with cerakote... A couple years ago I purchased a new browning xbolt hells canyon speed 6.5 creedmoor in burnt bronze cerakote paired with a leupold vx3-hd in burnt bronze and matching leupold rings (I love it). This past hunting season, I was deer hunting in my saddle about 18 feet up a tree. My gear rope to let my rifle back down was only 16 feet, so it was dangling a little. So as I was getting my stuff together and starting to descend, I didn't realize my movement was dragging it across a rock positioned perfectly below me. I scratched the scope up pretty good (see pic). My first email reply from Leopold was not helpful, as they told me it was an anodized scope and not cerakote - which is not what I was told by the gun shop I bought it from. And, they didn't give me any options or recommendations for repairing. So, I'm getting further clarification. Secondly, the barrel (browning) also got a small scratch on it during the same incident. In summary, this rifle is my first experience with cerakote finishes, and I'm not too impressed, especially when we're talking expensive browning and leupold brand of products... View attachment 312694View attachment 312693
Meh, $hit will buff out bro.

The newer matte style stainless finish is absolute garbage, and I hate that that's the direction all hunting rifles went. They rust almost as bad as blue does.

I have a 90s vintage Ruger with the glossy stainless finish, and I have abused the hell out of that rifle in all sorts of weather and it still looks incredible. Really wish my newer stainless rifle had that same finish.
Agree completely. My A-Bolt gold medallion refuses to rust despite my best efforts. My Remington 700 SPS and my stainless Kimber pit like crazy.

If you were right down the road like when I lived in Dayton, you'd have the rifle. Shipping is another cost I have to cut out. mtmuley
Scheels ships rifles for $35. Not sure how they do it.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, I also like the low glare factor. However, FYI, my recent experience with cerakote... A couple years ago I purchased a new browning xbolt hells canyon speed 6.5 creedmoor in burnt bronze cerakote paired with a leupold vx3-hd in burnt bronze and matching leupold rings (I love it). This past hunting season, I was deer hunting in my saddle about 18 feet up a tree. My gear rope to let my rifle back down was only 16 feet, so it was dangling a little. So as I was getting my stuff together and starting to descend, I didn't realize my movement was dragging it across a rock positioned perfectly below me. I scratched the scope up pretty good (see pic). My first email reply from Leopold was not helpful, as they told me it was an anodized scope and not cerakote - which is not what I was told by the gun shop I bought it from. And, they didn't give me any options or recommendations for repairing. So, I'm getting further clarification. Secondly, the barrel (browning) also got a small scratch on it during the same incident. In summary, this rifle is my first experience with cerakote finishes, and I'm not too impressed, especially when we're talking expensive browning and leupold brand of products... View attachment 312694View attachment 312693

I hear leupold holds cerakote just about as well as it holds zero.

Just messing with ya. It might be a prep/ application issue or one of the softer cerakotes. H series is what I typically use and the only time I've scratched one was with a barrel vise and a stuck barrel.

Back