Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Why Cerakote a stainles rifle?

Had a rifle and Glock 20 cerakoted when I was hunting primarily in sub-tropical Alabama. I've been very pleased with the way it has held up on the rifle but disappointed at how easily it wears on the handgun, just from unholstering and reholstering. Anyone (particularly you, @p_ham) have any tips on how to avoid such bad holster burn?

Had a rifle and Glock 20 cerakoted when I was hunting primarily in sub-tropical Alabama. I've been very pleased with the way it has held up on the rifle but disappointed at how easily it wears on the handgun, just from unholstering and reholstering. Anyone (particularly you, @p_ham) have any tips on how to avoid such bad holster burn?
Softer holster

If it's kydex there's not really anything you can do. It'll wear through nitride. I had a guy recently bring in a pistol claiming the factory finish just started coming off but you could see obvious damage from grit. He finally admitted he had a kydex holster.
If it's leather then oil up your cerakote periodically and wipe it down. I don't know why it helps but it does.

H Series is generally pretty tough so if there are issues most of the time it was in the prep or application.

If it's kydex there's not really anything you can do. It'll wear through nitride. I had a guy recently bring in a pistol claiming the factory finish just started coming off but you could see obvious damage from grit. He finally admitted he had a kydex holster.
If it's leather then oil up your cerakote periodically and wipe it down. I don't know why it helps but it does.

H Series is generally pretty tough so if there are issues most of the time it was in the prep or application.
Indeed it is kydex-- aside from the holster burn issue, I love my Alien Gears. May switch to a Galco eventually, though.

The seductive nature of rifle acquisition should never be characterized as a business decision.

Man card 101 . . .
Sometimes this has to happen. All I want is the rifle to be as accurate as it was before the rebarrel. Not wanting to spend money on anything that isn't needed. That's why I asked opinions of guys here. mtmuley

Sometimes this has to happen. All I want is the rifle to be as accurate as it was before the rebarrel. Not wanting to spend money on anything that isn't needed. That's why I asked opinions of guys here. mtmuley
Team stainless Dale, but I also shoot a Mashburn...ruining any semblance of ROI prudence in the literal economic sense. But if you meant performative return on investment I absolutely agree that you don't need ceracoat.

Just have it bead blasted and call it good. It might not be a perfect match but the blasted finish will help that.

Just have it bead blasted and call it good. It night now be a perfect match but the blasted finish will help that.
If you were right down the road like when I lived in Dayton, you'd have the rifle. Shipping is another cost I have to cut out. mtmuley

If you were right down the road like when I lived in Dayton, you'd have the rifle. Shipping is another cost I have to cut out. mtmuley
Thanks. Shipping is getting a bit ridiculous on cost these days.

As others have mentioned, I also like the low glare factor. However, FYI, my recent experience with cerakote... A couple years ago I purchased a new browning xbolt hells canyon speed 6.5 creedmoor in burnt bronze cerakote paired with a leupold vx3-hd in burnt bronze and matching leupold rings (I love it). This past hunting season, I was deer hunting in my saddle about 18 feet up a tree. My gear rope to let my rifle back down was only 16 feet, so it was dangling a little. So as I was getting my stuff together and starting to descend, I didn't realize my movement was dragging it across a rock positioned perfectly below me. I scratched the scope up pretty good (see pic). My first email reply from Leopold was not helpful, as they told me it was an anodized scope and not cerakote - which is not what I was told by the gun shop I bought it from. And, they didn't give me any options or recommendations for repairing. So, I'm getting further clarification. Secondly, the barrel (browning) also got a small scratch on it during the same incident. In summary, this rifle is my first experience with cerakote finishes, and I'm not too impressed, especially when we're talking expensive browning and leupold brand of products... Rifle.jpegLeupoldBurntBronze.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back