Why are non-resident hunters allowed tags in limited quota areas ?

I live and grew up in Alabama. There is almost no huntable private land near me and what is there is so over hunted it’s thought of as not worth your time unless you have nowhere else to go. I have leased land my entire adult life. Here you either pay through the nose to hunt or have family or friends that own land. Before I started hunting out West, I thought Utah had a legitimate gripe about all of the Federally owned land in the state. I supported public land transfer because I was ignorant. The only thing that changed my mind was hunting as a non-resident. Since then, I have called and written my Senators and Representatives many times over public land issues. If you think it’s right to dump all over nonresidents, don’t ask for help the next time Mike Lee or whoever comes for the BLM land near you. I can always go back to my leases and go with an outfitter every couple of years instead of public land every year. It’s a short step from no draw units to no general units as well in my mind. The selfishness of this original statement is astounding and shortsighted in the extreme to me.

That's exactly right. Plus my state has a fairly well funded game and fish agency that could absorb any federal land management issues (actually they already do a lot of the work on our federal lands). I still care about habitat, even if I never get to hunt it. But having skin in the game always makes a person care more.

Btw our deer hunting leases in AR are pretty cheap, $25-$50 per acre! But want a 40 acre field to hunt ducks? $10k.

As a resident and taxpayer here in Montana, I have wondered why non residents are given permits ahead of any resident in limited quota areas? I know the FWP sets a side up to 10%, but why should ANY NR get a tag over a resident? I understand a NR hunting in general areas, and the fact that Montana has substantial federal land holdings has led to this 10% NR allotment. But in my opinion, a resident should have first chance at ALL tags that are on a quota system, then, if any remain, NR can apply. There would still be many opportunities left in general areas, but as a resident, we should have propriety over

totally crazy. yup and only residents can fish the great lakes and the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I never mentioned anything about a 100% resident draw..

Correct you never did but limited quota area means its not OTC and if your saying you don't want non residents in a limited quota area (thread title) means it has to be a draw and then becomes a 100% resident draw

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back