Why all the touching and hugging?

runningmt

This is not specific to any one hunting show, more of an annoying observation.

I am a huge proponent of getting more women involved in the outdoors, especially hunting.

While most hunting shows are primarily men, even my favorites have been including women hunters, and sometimes first time women hunters.

Not gonna call out any specific offenders, but I’ve noticed it on a few of the modern hunting shows.

What I’ve kind of noticed across the board is men doing a lot of touching, hugging, and generally treating these women hunters way different than they do their male counterparts. Sometimes it’s ridiculous how much touching there is.

Weird.

Probably because women are generally more touchy- feely. Many times in my life and career, when a female greets you, says good bye to you, are achieves a major milestone, they ask for or offer a hug. Never been overly comfortable with it... but that is how many are put together. I have never been the catalyst or initiated a hug outside my family. In all cases, the female initiated or established the trend.
I believe you may be reading too much into it.
Heck, they hug each other when saying goodbye or greeting.

What I’ve kind of noticed across the board is men doing a lot of touching, hugging, and generally treating these women hunters way different than they do their male counterparts. Sometimes it’s ridiculous how much touching there is.

It is a fair call out and worth keeping an eye on. Female hunters have a hard enough time as it is when hunts get posted online (have you checked comments on some of those videos? they tend to the less civil end of the spectrum when female hunters are featured) and we shouldn't be making it harder by forcing certain expectations on them. As in, it shouldn't be the standard expectation that female hunters get all touchy after a shot.

At the same time, if that's what the female hunter is comfortable with, I don't see a problem. Some of the female hunters might want to be treated just like "the boys" but others probably want to experience it in their own way - including showing respect for the animal as well as excitement however suits them. I would hope that expectations and limits are shared beforehand so there are no unwelcome surprises in the excitement of the hunt.

My thought is it should be up to the lady. If thats her way of celebrating, hug it out, film it, whatever. I've seen plenty of guys on these shows hug post shot or scream and yell when they make a kill. I notice that alot because I'm more reserved and don't do either.

When I hunt with others, my experience tends to involve more back slapping and hand shaking. Just generally not a big hugger. I mean, Hunting Husband has hugged me after some of the big milestone animals I’ve killed, but never anyone else. The sentiment is different coming from a spouse. I would think it a little awkward coming from someone else. I suppose it may be different for others though.

I still remember the day I killed my first deer. My FIL, who was a pretty reserved man, walked up with a big smile, shook my hand, and told me good job. It was the best feeling....I felt respected, I felt accepted, I felt like a real hunter. I’m not sure a hug would have conveyed all that in quite the same way. He did that just about every time I was successful while we hunted together. I miss him.

Interesting. I see a ton of dudes on hunting shows giving each other hugs after a successful shot, etc, but rarely any touching at other times. I’m more of a fist bump or slap on the shoulder person. The handshake after the shot seems weird to me - that’s usually something I reserve for greetings and departures.

I have also noticed a lot of touchy feely men on hunting shows when a new woman is hunting with the group. This seems kind of rude. My thought is if it were me, I’d ask, and only if it was a beginner hunter. Ex, may I help you with shooting stance, may I help point out the animal, may I etc, etc, before getting in their personal bubble. I’d do the same thing if it were a male.

Idk, I see a lot of male on male touching in shows like THP, born/raised and Hush. Pretty aggressive actually. I probably wouldn't read that much into it.

It is a fair call out and worth keeping an eye on. Female hunters have a hard enough time as it is when hunts get posted online (have you checked comments on some of those videos? they tend to the less civil end of the spectrum when female hunters are featured) and we shouldn't be making it harder by forcing certain expectations on them. As in, it shouldn't be the standard expectation that female hunters get all touchy after a shot.

At the same time, if that's what the female hunter is comfortable with, I don't see a problem. Some of the female hunters might want to be treated just like "the boys" but others probably want to experience it in their own way - including showing respect for the animal as well as excitement however suits them. I would hope that expectations and limits are shared beforehand so there are no unwelcome surprises in the excitement of the hunt.

I agree 100%. Nicely stated.

However, I might add that some females create problems for those of us who are serious about hunting and fishing. The pictures the woman took after her kill in Scotland does not help. Women wearing clothes ( or lack thereof ) that accent body parts on fishing and hunting shows does not help. Like Hunting Wife, I am personally not the touchy feely type, plus as soon as an animal is down we process it quickly as we have other things to do, plus it is possible that somewhere nearby a brown or white bear will have a interest in the downed animal.

noharleyyet. The tag line could also say------"trust me"

To me it all depends on how well you know the person. I would potentially hug my daughter or wife, but not a woman that I had just met (unless she initiated it). Some people love to hug and you reach that status pretty quick. Others you may never reach that level of comfort with. It is a situational dependent show of affection that entirely depends on the relationship between the 2 people. Actually, I don't think it is limited to male/female relationships. There are guys that are huggers and there a guys that are certainly not huggers. Personally, I would not take offense if someone wants a hug. And I would not be offended if I developed a close personal relationship with someone and we never hug. Well, except my wife and kids. They are getting hugs!!

Its a very emotional time after a shot and/or walking up on a dead animal. I don't care who you are or what sex you are, pretty much any physical reaction by any member there should be deemed acceptable given the circumstance and no one should be putting much thought into it.

I'll give a parallel example to prove my point: You just found out someone very close to you died. Are you going to analyze the physical interactions that occur after that news? Its a highly emotional time and you're not even closely thinking about things like that. Similar strong emotions occur when killing an animal.

What's weird is that you'd feel strongly in any certain way about it at all.

I have the best quality of life when I'm minding my own business.

Wow! Hunting season needs to hurry up and get here. People have too much time to think right now.

Mmmmmmhmmmm! Said something similar at least a month and a half ago. It ain't gettin' any better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back