Who to talk to in Colorado

lpcoutdoors

Everyone says its a good idea to talk to the area or species biologist when you go on an out of state hunt, but I can't seem to figure out how to find out who that is for my next falls dusky grouse hunt in Colorado. How can I find this out, is there a database or something? I've tried googling and the DOW website but I just can't seem to find any real leads. Do I just need to call someone or somewhere to get closer to the right person?

The Uncompaghre Plateau, because I know the area somewhat, and the Steamboat Springs area are where I'm looking, might even do a split trip. Might consider the Marble area or others. Just in case someone knows the right contacts in those areas. Thanks!

Everyone says its a good idea to talk to the area or species biologist when you go on an out of state hunt, but I can't seem to figure out how to find out who that is for my next falls dusky grouse hunt in Colorado. How can I find this out, is there a database or something? I've tried googling and the DOW website but I just can't seem to find any real leads. Do I just need to call someone or somewhere to get closer to the right person?

The Uncompaghre Plateau, because I know the area somewhat, and the Steamboat Springs area are where I'm looking, might even do a split trip. Might consider the Marble area or others. Just in case someone knows the right contacts in those areas. Thanks!

What kind of information are you looking for?

I doubt anyone including a warden is going to tell you specifically where to go... but you might get a, "well I know lots of folks are hunting them on grouse mountain".
People just tend to be kinda tight lipped about their grouse honey holes as good ones tend to have birds consistently year after year.

There is an outfitter in Marble who specifically guides for grouse with horse. I have some spots in the area... you probably want to do it with horses.

Grouse are pretty ubiquitous in CO I have yet to hunt elk and not bump into them.

What kind of information are you looking for?

I doubt anyone including a warden is going to tell you specifically where to go... but you might get a, "well I know lots of folks are hunting them on grouse mountain".
People just tend to be kinda tight lipped about their grouse honey holes as good ones tend to have birds consistently year after year.

There is an outfitter in Marble who specifically guides for grouse with horse. I have some spots in the area... you probably want to do it with horses.

Grouse are pretty ubiquitous in CO I have yet to hunt elk and not bump into them.

Thanks for those maps and info guys, that's very helpful. I didn't know if there were specific game bird biologists too, as some states have.

As for the info, just trying to narrow the search and up the learning curve as much as I can. I've seen them every time while big game hunting, but never targeted them with bird dogs. Just like the big game may be more present in one part of a unit, or in a terrain type, certain times of year, wanted to see if I could get some "yeah try over on grouse mountain, that's been really good, but don't bother with such and such, there just aren't any birds there." Or it would be good to know if a certain area is on a boom or bust in the population cycle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back