Who is shooting an arrow over 600 gr?

Chaza402

I’ve been shooting a GrizzlyStik setup for a season now. I know I may have gotten caught up in their marketing scheme but I will have to say the arrows fly great. My current set up is 667 grains.
I didn’t get a chance to make contact last year with any animals but the arrows really hammer my targets.
The flight of the arrow is also very stable and even in good winds.
What are y’all shooting this season?

Touché on the LOR reference. My wife and I were thinking of watching the series this weekend. “Looks like meats back on the menu boys”!!😂😂

I'm very green to archery, but I've been curious about where the ideal intersection of speed/weight/trajectory sits. I suppose it depends on what you're hunting and how far you plan to shoot. Just something I'm interested in finding for me. Kinda like figuring out the best "one rifle" setup.

I'm very green to archery, but I've been curious about where the ideal intersection of speed/weight/trajectory sits. I suppose it depends on what you're hunting and how far you plan to shoot. Just something I'm interested in finding for me. Kinda like figuring out the best "one rifle" setup.
Funny. There is no answer to that question. You can either join in the search or just fine what works for you. There is no stopping physics.

Mine arrow setup is around 490gr.

Bow is setup with full length carbon express pile drivers, 100 grain brass inserts and slick tricks. Shot a large ohio buck in the shoulder muscle and the arrow went out of the opposite ham and was laying on the ground. I'll probably cut the weight down if I chase elk because the drop is ridiculous.

175 is pretty fast for a longbow. The arrow I killed my bear with last year was going about 145. Complete pass through. Speed is overrated
Yeah, I'd say thats pretty good speed for a longbow. Although depending on the style of hunting and species speed is extremely important IMO. If the arrow can't get there fast enough then it really makes hunting harder. But heavier arrows like you are shooting have a ton of momentum and KE, that is what helps with a pass through.

I just increased to about 460gr. I was at 400gr. There's a happy medium between 450 - 525 or so it seems. If I'm taking a 40 yard shot, I don't want to have to worry about missing if the deer/elk walks a couple yards further or closer. Being able to hit where you're aiming is hands down the most important part of bow hunting!

Weight is good for the potential of a bad shot, but I think the sweet spot gives you good consistent arrow flight, speed to prevent excessive pin gaps, along with enough weight to push through most things with a good fixed blade broadhead.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back