Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who here lives and hunts in New Hampshire or other parts of New England?

TomTeriffic

After watching videos by Mr. GunBlue490 and seeing his wonderful pretty woodsy spread in New Hampshire, I have a soft spot in my heart for this state. The countryside has a Norman Rockwell look to it. New Hampshire is a permit-less carry state and it is also a Blue state. Vermont has had some bad anti-gun legislation introduced in recent years and Maine requires a permit to carry on STATE lands including public beaches though both these two neighboring Blue states are also permit-less (for the most part) for concealed carry. New Hampshire has one or more public ocean beaches that one could carry permit-less on. A New England hunter might have to travel at least as far away as a non-resident in Pennsylvania to shoot up some dove poppers for the barbecue. PA is the closest state to/within the Far North Eastern Seaboard with actual open dove seasons. New Hampshire does have deer, duck and pheasant seasons and so does New York and the rest of New England.

There are some gun-rights-unfriendly states nearby like Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey and New York. Perhaps, upstate New York is not quite as bad as NYC.

I do prefer the northern part of Lower 48 American in spite of the snow and harsh winters. I've lived in Boise, Idaho a number of years and had gotten accustomed to the winters there. I think New England might be on the expensive side for cost of living as compared with the northern Canada-bordering states more west. I certainly like the culture of New England over the culture of the South and the culture of Middel America. Mr. GunBlue490 and his sugar maples really seal the romance I now have with the permit-less carry states of New England. New Hampshire in the countryside looks quite pretty and peaceful. I don't think New England has the big-city trashiness of California in Lalaland. Boston might be the maddest/craziest city in all of New England but most of New England looks quiet in pretty in the pictures.

Last edited:
Yea, guessing you wouldn’t fit in down south. Too bad…
I don't care for the climate in the South except maybe for the beaches in Florida during the wintertime. The tornadoes, high humidity and hurricanes are not my bag, and neither are the alligators. I much prefer to say something like POCK the CAH than say something like up the road yonder.

Still, Mr. GunBlue 490, an avid gun aficionado, hunter, ex-lawman and ex-firearms instructor has the New Hampshire woodlands impressed in my mind as a charming place.

Last edited:
Can’t speak to NH specifically, but New England and Upstate NY can be downright idyllic. Plenty of opportunities for hunters & anglers. Good fly fishing, deer, bear, and turkey hunting. Even some grouse if you poke around. Two gripes: It’s often not as easy to camp wherever you please on public land as it is out west, and you’ll likely get Lyme at some point. Summers are nowhere near as brutal as they are down south, but they still have some serious sticky humidity over there.

Oh, a bonus: You can buy a perfectly serviceable sailboat in RI for like $2500 (with reasonable slip fees) if you’re looking for a new hobby. Be certain to pack plenty of heat for the pirates of Narragansett Bay though.

Can’t speak to NH specifically, but New England and Upstate NY can be downright idyllic. Plenty of opportunities for hunters & anglers. Good fly fishing, deer, bear, and turkey hunting. Even some grouse if you poke around. Two gripes: It’s often not as easy to camp wherever you please on public land as it is out west, and you’ll likely get Lyme at some point. Summers are nowhere near as brutal as they are down south, but they still have some serious sticky humidity over there.
Here is a good video for Lyme disease mitigation.

Deer ticks are most active during the warm summer season. My dogs and I would most likely NOT be out of the woods during the heat season and so more water activities like beach-going, boating and swimming would be in effect during that season anyway. My dogs would have a regular flea/tick treatment like Frontline. My home would have that anti-tick barrier as the video suggests if I were to live in New England. In Northern California, I used to pull one or more ticks out of my male Labrado Retriever every day during rainy season that I would hike out on the trails with him. Ticks favor wet weather and drop off trees onto animals and people. I then discovered Frontline in the late 1990's and never found a single tick on my dogs since. In CA, heat season is flea season.

Raised a family is southern nh for 20+ years

Sure NH is open carry, but try that at the beach, which is Hampton or portsmouth. You may be legal but constantly harassed. The MA line has moved about 30% north into NH. Until you are north of concord you are really still in MA.

Hunting, hmm, very low deernumbers, pheasant is stocked and a shooting a gallery.

Currently sitting in Boston Airport waiting to fly home to WY and can't wait

Raised a family is southern nh for 20+ years

Sure NH is open carry, but try that at the beach, which is Hampton or portsmouth. You may be legal but constantly harassed. The MA line has moved about 30% north into NH. Until you are north of concord you are really still in MA.

Hunting, hmm, very low deernumbers, pheasant is stocked and a shooting a gallery.

Currently sitting in Boston Airport waiting to fly home to WY and can't wait
New England then is probably not the best hunting area in America. Doves are out there right off the bat. It might be a better area for fishing, snowmobiling, beach-going and boating. Maple syrup production is the thing there too. Probably little public deer lands in New England. I would only carry CONCEALED at the beach in NH anyway. Even in America we can't have everything everywhere. The best hunting region in America probably does not have an ocean view anywhere nearby. In Montana and Wyoming, one probably has much better hunting with a number of lake and/or river views. Idaho adds river salmon. Dove hunting is not particular good in the northern states that do even have dove seasons. The southern regions of the Lowwer 48 are dove paradise. The more northeast one goes in America, the more that hunting quality and opportunity diminishes especially on public lands, if there are any public lands to hunt on, even to speak of, in a state like NH.

Last edited:
Will these effectively conceal my double stack?

Outfits - NoHo Hank in Barry (HBO) - Tumbex

I lived in Dover and worked in Durham, N. H. for a couple of years in the 1990s.
Nice for most folks, but not my cup of tea...I moved back out west as quickly as I could.

Nice because 15 minutes from the ocean, an hour away from Boston,
an hour away from the White Mountains National Forest, etc.
The winters were I lived were mostly ice storms and it seemed crowded too me.
Summers were humid with black flies, ticks and lymes disease, but lakes and fish scattered throughout.
Great if your into history, antiques, hardwood woodworking, lobster, striped bass in salt water, hockey, small towns, etc.
No sales or income tax but among the highest property tax rate in the US.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back