Yeti GOBOX Collection

Who here has taken moose and/or elk with the venerable ".30-06 short" or even a .300 Savage?

TomTeriffic

The "THIRTY-AUGHT-SIX Short" of course is .308 Winchester. It can be done if the hunter is within sensible range, I've been told. A .308 bullet on the heavier side like 165 or 180 might be prudent too for .308 Win. on "His Majesty". If you shot the .308 most of the time for deer, would go out and buy a .30-06 Springfield or some other caliber rifle especially for a once-in-a-lifetime moose or elk hunt?

I just watched Randy’s moose hunt, it looks like he used the 7mm06 short. Aka 7mm HT.
I'll have to check out Randy's moose hunt.

His Majesty the Prince = Bull Elk
His Majesty the King = Bull Moose
The Knight = Whitetail Buck
The Duke = Muley Buck
The Page Boy = Blacktail Buck

I shot a shit load of elk with a 7 rem mag, before that I used a 30-06 cause if it’s good enough for Germans it’s good enough for elk. They’re both the same in Montana. My daughter shot a moose with a 7-08 which is like a 308.. but for girls.. or wait.. maybe they are both are for girls.. idk..

I’ve shot deer, elk, antelope, and mountain goat all with my 6.5 cm. None of them made it more than 15 yards.

🤫

I haven't, yet. But I am new to the .308. I killed a bull elk with my 7mm, but haven't gotten a chance to hunt anything but deer with the .308. Don't think it matters much out to reasonable distance. Guys kill them with the .243 and other small bullets all the time.

Bullet in the vitals is a bullet in the vitals, too much thought/talk about what amounts to less than a millimeter or two's worth of difference across all the bullet sizes

Tom do you ever hunt or just speculate on various hunting related issues

My wife shot a moose with a .308 Win out of a cheap, plastic, crappy markings, millenial Savage Axis, though. Does that count, Tom?

She's such a lazy punk millenial that she even just watched me quarter it while she was busy updating her IG.
I read 'moose' as 'mouse' and was thinking, "Damn, his wife must really hate mice" 😂

My wife shot a moose with a .308 Win out of a cheap, plastic, crappy markings, millenial Savage Axis, though. Does that count, Tom?

She's such a lazy punk millenial that she even just watched me quarter it while she was busy updating her IG.
Yes, sir. I don't think His Majesty The King (unless your wife shot a cow moose) would have been any more impressed with a Swedish Husqvarna or a Belgian Browning BAR.

I haven't, yet. But I am new to the .308. I killed a bull elk with my 7mm, but haven't gotten a chance to hunt anything but deer with the .308. Don't think it matters much out to reasonable distance. Guys kill them with the .243 and other small bullets all the time.

Bullet in the vitals is a bullet in the vitals, too much thought/talk about what amounts to less than a millimeter or two's worth of difference across all the bullet sizes

Tom do you ever hunt or just speculate on various hunting related issues
I've hunted deer in the past, but the bug has come back to me lately. I'm sort of dreaming about getting back into the game (no pun intended).
96 deer hunt.jpg

Last edited:
I read 'moose' as 'mouse' and was thinking, "Damn, his wife must really hate mice" 😂
That's funny and sparked a memory...

A couple of years ago, I killed a rat in the garage w/ the classic SNAP-style rat trap. Very effective and in this particular case, it nearly decapitated him. After disposing of the body and resetting the trap, my wife asked me a question.
"Are you gonna clean up the blood?"
"no"
"What, why!?"
"A warning to his friends..." and I walked away

I have no idea why she's still married to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back