PEAX Equipment

Who has a trimming method that they like?

World's Finest Trimmers. Have Have used the WFT-Original for several years and they work very well. And, the crank handled one are not fun if you have more than a few brass to process.

What kind of life do you get out of one of those?

With brass being so soft compared to steel, a long time but I doubt I could even guess accurately. Probably the biggest mistake with these is running the drill at full speed and getting the cutter hot which will shorten the life a bit. They do sell replacement cutters (the bit) if needed.

I have a Hornady case trimmer. I don't know that I particularly like it but it gets the job done. There's an attachment you can get for a power drill so you're not having to stand there and turn the crank, but I have invested in that. Case trimming isn't my favorite part of the process.

I have a couple of the older Forster hand crankers. Don't use em much as AI cases hardly grow at all. Most of my calibers are from .30-06 length cases so don't really need to adjust it. I made a trim standard case with a RCBS file die and use that to set my trimmer.

You can see from my profile pic, I don't' "Manscape".

I have tried all kinds of different trimmers, including drill press mounted options. I've landed on the Hornady Cam-lock trimmer as my favorite of all. They seem the most accurate and repeatable to me for the money and effort. You will break the hand cranks, but you can buy a replacement, or a screw gun adapter, from Hornady. I have a couple of these trimmers now. They retail for $80ish but I find mine at pawn shops and yard sales for 25% of that. I like that the Hornady shell holders are a little tighter spec. Brass which goes in and out of my RCBS shell holders will snag in the Hornady and I reject it. I have one permanently set up for 223/556 and another I use for everything else. The cranks are cheap pot metal and will break if you push in too hard when you crank. I mount them on a chunk of 2X4 and C-Clamp them to my bench when I need them.

I also use RCBS file trim dies, but only for straight walled cases. They will squeeze down the body and set back shoulders on cases you have neck-only sized. I use them mostly for 30 Carbine. If you have already decapped a straight walled (tapered) case before the file trim die, it's ready for mouth flaring and priming after you trim and deburr with the die. If you don't use case lube on trim dies, you will stick cases in them. I have found that if I don't use lube on the trim die, the case will stretch when I downstroke the press. I chased trimming errors with these dies until I started lubing consistently.

Someday I will try the RCBS electric trimmer, but that expense comes after I get my electric lead furnace. @FLS just talked me into plunking down 3 bills on a Chargemaster, so it's gonna be a while

IMG_1129[1].JPG

So far my preferred trimming solution is the Lee lock stud, cutter, and case gauge. It’s cheap enough to buy one for every different rifle you reload for, unless you’re reloading for a couple dozen different calibers. The only issue I’ve had with it has been for .223, since it is so bulk produced it seems certain brands of brass have flash holes that are way off center. The way this set up works is it lines up with the flash hole after depriming. If the flash hole is off center it leaves your case mouth trimmed crooked. I don’t reload for ultimate accuracy and still use the very common brass brands for .223, but if the flash hole is off center enough to be noticed, it gets tossed in the scrap bucket.

I am still using my old RCBS crank handle trimmer. Not the most modern piece of equipment but still very functional. I guess I don't worry too much about being high tech cuz I use my reloading bench as psycho therapy. Every other thing in my life is left somewhere other than the reloading bench. Turning the crank is just another process.

That’s a good question! I use a Wilson trimmer with a Sinclair attachment that holds the shell holder in place. It works, and is probably not the worst trim method, but I don’t think I can say that I like it.

I am still using my old RCBS crank handle trimmer. Not the most modern piece of equipment but still very functional. I guess I don't worry too much about being high tech cuz I use my reloading bench as psycho therapy. Every other thing in my life is left somewhere other than the reloading bench. Turning the crank is just another process.

This is why I have three single stage presses but have never gotten a turret or progressive. It's all about the process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back