Caribou Gear

Who Else Is Stoked for 2021 Season!?

I just stoked the fire. Does that count?
Ran into a small herd of elk down the road from home the other day. Couple dozen cows with some spikes in the bunch sparing.
Looks like I'll be getting firewood early this year as roads will be dry and passable into the Gila,my woodpile. I'll go scout for deer while getting wood.
Got lots of work on my porches to do this summer so mid season scouting will be used and I'll have a porch to scout elk from....I'm stoked. lol
Is there any place in NM for 72 year old arthritic geezer to hunt, I can still get out but my mountain climbing days are over

I am. Started turkey in area 3 this year. Moving back to area 5 when it opens on the 20th. Not finding anything scouting.

Put in for deer and antelope tags. Buck muley tag will be general OTC. If I do elk this year, it will likely be around Laramie area on a general.

Then getting OTC licenses for pheasant, doves, grouse and rabbits. And lots of fishing this year.

Same old story. Booked my flights to Africa today. Hope I get surgeries done before I leave. Gallbladder seems to have resolved itself so I'm half ready to go. I may just have to tough out the hernia ... again. The damn gun handling fee for flight from Port Elizabeth to Joberg on some local airline was almost as much as the air fare. I will be hunting buffalo and waterbuck near Kimberly then back to PE for various plains game. PH is still pushing for sable but I simply do not have the wall space for even a skull. They are obtrusive. I'll be back in time for goose season then off to Montana for uplands, deer, and maybe an elk if one gets in the way.

Stoke fire is in full strength stoke mode, turkey opener Saturday and waiting on elk draws!

Hey all, looks like I found the right place. Just got the word that I'm in for archery elk in unit 52. This will be my first time and am pumped to get in the game. Any insight into 52 would be awesome. Fairly new to New Mexico and so excited to do this.

I guess I should feel stokedider.
Drew local deer & elk. Have new Leica RF & new used Zeiss binos on way. Found two boxes of ammo under some papers.
Rio does not understand why I am up @ 0330,sitting on HIS couch and it isn't hunting season. I had to fib and say practice.
At least I didn't climb into cammo when I got up.

Hey all, looks like I found the right place. Just got the word that I'm in for archery elk in unit 52. This will be my first time and am pumped to get in the game. Any insight into 52 would be awesome. Fairly new to New Mexico and so excited to do this.
Get ready for some rugged terrain. Truly one of those units where you have to get away from the crowds. Definitely suggest you scout it. I hunted archery deer there a few years ago. Saw antelope and lots of does but not any elk. I was guessing they were high and deep.

Get ready for some rugged terrain. Truly one of those units where you have to get away from the crowds. Definitely suggest you scout it. I hunted archery deer there a few years ago. Saw antelope and lots of does but not any elk. I was guessing they were high and deep.
Interesting. I've heard that this was a great elk unit to hunt.

Congratulations on the hunt! Hope you are successful!
I too have been fortunate enough to draw my first New Mexico elk tag in 51. Being that I live on Maui, it’s gonna be hard to do some scouting and understand the terrain lol.😅

Congratulations on the hunt! Hope you are successful!
I too have been fortunate enough to draw my first New Mexico elk tag in 51. Being that I live on Maui, it’s gonna be hard to do some scouting and understand the terrain lol.😅
I've found USGS and ONX maps to be fairly close to reality, so hopefully those might help you. If you can hit the ground a few days before opening, that will also give you a leg up. Good luck!

I've found USGS and ONX maps to be fairly close to reality, so hopefully those might help you. If you can hit the ground a few days before opening, that will also give you a leg up. Good luck!
I’m thinking to get there a few days early. This trip happened to be around the time I’m moving to Reno. So might drive there. Onx is my main tool at the moment for scouting, looks like some high elevation. Should be fun

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back